Out of Memory

I'm trying to render (final quality RW) a model but keep getting an 'out of memory' warning, what kind of memory are we talking about, is this RAM, virtual, disk, something i don't know of or a combination, is my hardware not capable (time to upgrade)? Any help appreciated. The file is 56 Mb, not too strange. I've already removed a number of props and lights.......no go! HELP! The deadline approaches!

Edited by Vincent C

Vincent.

Dave Donley made quite an extraordinary info file for optimizing renderings. Please search for it in the knowledgebase. I don't remember how is called.

Personally the one tip of Dave that really helped me DRAMATICALLY was to avoid extrudes and needless complex 3D shapes and use 3D polys whenever possible. On large rendered surfaces it makes a hell of a difference. That might be the floors of your model, perhaps.

I also had troubles with extruded text. You also have some extruded text there.

Also be careful (WinXP):

* There are a couple of memory leaks when you load HDRI backgrounds: at each loading the application increases memory without releasing.

Fix:

keep an eye on the task manager. When you see that it lingers too high just doing nothing (say about 750MB), you know that you need to quit and re-launch the application because you got caught in an incremental memory leak.

This happens easily when you try some HDRI backgrounds for seeing how it shows. 4-5 of them and you are fried.

Also loading them into the resource browsers by import cause this to occur.

It might happen also on other conditions.

orso

FQR renders line by line and pages out to disk. Your image is not that complex .. so FQR is a perfect choice... especially with the image props.

Have you tried to send to Batch processing ... and what is the size of the partition you are using for VW storage ?

When problems like this arise, batching to a larger partition might be beneficial.

i'm more worried about what happens when it's time for a large project

Indeed you could get a little more memory. If a rendering on Win reaches its 1.5 limit, then you might have too little for the rest of the machine. You have a total of 2GB.

Nevertheless, when I had to do large renderings (models with over 250MB and some heavy realistic textures) I had no other way than render on Mac. Win didn't manage them.

* win: max memory for one application 1.5GB

* mac: max memory for one application 3.0GB

Here, the faster the processor the better.

As a whole, for largish renderings you might be compelled to leave Renderworks. It pains me to say this, but is true.

orso

... and what is the size of the partition you are using for VW storage ?

When problems like this arise, batching to a larger partition might be beneficial.

I have only one C: partition with 15Gb free space (that's what you meant right?)

Indeed you could get a little more memory. If a rendering on Win reaches its 1.5 limit, then you might have too little for the rest of the machine. You have a total of 2GB.

Nevertheless, when I had to do large renderings (models with over 250MB and some heavy realistic textures) I had no other way than render on Mac. Win didn't manage them.

As a whole, for largish renderings you might be compelled to leave Renderworks. It pains me to say this, but is true.

orso

Or buy a new upgraded (Mac)computer to be able to do larger 'stuff'.

If what you say is true Orso this is essential for my work. I've always been trying to find (and understand) optimal hardware setups (within justifiable price limits) for exactly this kind of work but have never really gotten a full understanding of what actually is important. (e.g. in a previous thread i read that 32 bit Windows doesn't use more than 2(3) Gb RAM ...ie. no use in buying a graphics card with 4Gb RAM)

Now you tell me Mac has double the amount of max. memory than windows does this is precious info when deciding what computer (setup) to buy!!! Thanks!

Edited by Vincent C

Vincent

Instead of using FQRW, use Custom Render, Set to Ray traced, not Mapped Shadows.

I have been told that FQRW mainly use Mapped and takes up a lot of memory.

Also you could ajust the options to increace the workability by decreasing the quality. you hardly notice the difference.

At what DPI are you rendering and exporting.

300dpi is what I mainly use, but taking it down to 250dpi or even 200dpi makes a huge difference on how your PC handles the rendering and still have a good quility render.

To get as much RAM memory out only have the drawing open which you wish to render, have all other applications closed.

Hope you get it to render.

In all those post of PC vs Mac tread, did no one mentioned this aspect that Mac has a larger amount of max memory???

Thanks Carl i'll start testing with that next time!

At what DPI are you rendering and exporting.

300dpi is what I mainly use, but taking it down to 250dpi or even 200dpi makes a huge difference on how your PC handles the rendering and still have a good quility render.

I usually export Jpeg, A3 size at 150 dpi.....

To get as much RAM memory out only have the drawing open which you wish to render, have all other applications closed.

Hope you get it to render.

That's the way i got it to work in the end, with a reboot to be sure... :)

In all those post of PC vs Mac tread, did no one mentioned this aspect that Mac has a larger amount of max memory???

Nope, talk about essential info on a 3D CAD forum ;)

Edited by Vincent C
i'm more worried about what happens when it's time for a large project

orso

Orso

Do you know why the max memory is different across the two platforms.

Is this so with other tipe of applications aswell, like Photoshop, Corel, C4D, Artlantis, Blender??

If VW is the only one, then why??

Hi all,

for those of us stuck in PC land, could we petition Microsoft to allow us to have more memory for VW? I've tried all the above rendering methods on a not too complex rendering, about 25 mb file using some reflective surfaces, and I had to drop my DPi to 72 to get it to render in a viewport on Arch C size paper(after completely shutting down my computer (which has 3gig RAM and runs XP) and going to lunch).

I was using imported image files as textures on basic shapes. I could tell when my Pc was running out of memory because one or more of the textures would turn black.

grrrrr....

Jeff

Vincent

I did. In that very thread.

And no, no idea why is it so.

And Ray Libby is right: 64 PCs will allow you more, but at least VW doesn't yet make full usage of that technology.

orso

I could tell when my Pc was running out of memory because one or more of the textures would turn black.

On WinXP I live with the Task Manager on.

It is

1) interesting to see what happens. Cultural event.

2) better know when it will crash. Before it will crash.

orso

Glad I could help

I would accually switch off not just Restart the PC, just to clear any memory that was stored for something.

Doesn't it do this on restart?

Glad I could help

Now I have a good reason to convince the boss to get a Mac.

Yeah i'm also collecting a bunch of advantages apart from the fact that i'm tired of Windows!

I was using imported image files as textures on basic shapes. I could tell when my Pc was running out of memory because one or more of the textures would turn black.

Jeff.

Sounds to me your image your using for the texture is to big. Open it in Photoshop and save at 10%. Recreate the texture with the newly saved image and see if it goes black. you can the up the persentage to see what your max would be before it does not work.

Also, in the PDF is mentioned the border around boards, wave and dolfin are 3/4" round steel. If you have applied a texture with metal/(steel) capacity it does influence the render. Edit the texture in it's reflectiveness and maybe change the metal tipe. What tipe of mapping are you using for this?

Also, what lights do you have in the render? Ambient and fixtures?

Ray

I do understand a 64bit will have more than a 32bit, but if I understood Orso correctly he was comparing the different OS at the same bit rate....

Mr.Gog posted in the other thread:

In MacOs 32bit mode you get access to 3gb of ram for each application, in Windows 32bit only 2Gb (sometimes less). The limit for 32bit system is 4gb: for some reason the system take a portion. In Windows this portion is bigger.

So why is different on on the different OS? Could someone from NNA Please answer this for me?

Vincent

I have found over time when running large renders (90MB++) with all the other applications a simple Restart instead of Shutdown does not work. I think it depends on big the renders areeach time....

for those of us stuck in PC land, could we petition Microsoft to allow us to have more memory for VW?

You already have the option. Its called the /3GB boot option. Do a google search and give it a try and let us know how you get on. 2009 can make use of the extra memory, I don't believe that earlier versions can.

The reason its not enabled by default is that applications need to be aware that the additional memory is available. Enabling this option would appear to have make some applications unstable - but probably older versions.

I personally LOVE that other people are getting out memory errors (my apologies to all of you though. I went through my own memory issues a month ago). It's just building a case for there to be a better version of Renderworks, one that doesn't max out the machines most commonly used by people. Switching OS's is not the solution, as much as some mac people would love it to be. For a lot of offices that's not a realistic road to move down. Renderworks needs a major upgrade. The more people that bring this up the more NNA will listen.

No. People have a misconception about this. Mac's can address up to 3 gigs of ram per program. So can PC's, with a /3g switch. (IanH, step in here, this is really your world...).

The only way for a program to address more than this is to switch to a 64 bit architecture. I would love to see VW do this, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've been using both platforms with VW for about 7 years now. They both have their issues. They both have their issues when it comes to VW.

I still think that Renderworks has a lot than can be improved in it. I'm still trying to swallow the fact that shadow mapping doesn't engage multi thread processing. I don't think radiosity does either. Which means that most of my processing power sits idle in these modes.