Multiple users and resource library favourites

We have a team of 10 working on a project where all the symbols are referenced to a single library file. However we are having the problem that if anyone adds the library to their favorites in the resource browser to save time, vectorworks reports the file is in use to anyone who tries to open the library to amend it.

Is there anyway around this?

VW Architect 2009 SP3, mixed OS X 10.4/5 users.

Thanks in advance.

You can not, part of the many teamwork issues you will confront along the way when traveling that path. We do the same thing and make sure, even though it is a hassle, that no team member adds it as a favorite. Browse to file seems to cause the same issue.

Could be a simple OS permissions issue, never had a resolution proposed. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not experienced this problem. I set up a work group folder on our server from one computer and let it set up the folder structure. I added any custom content, symbols, hatches etc to the work group folders. For files you want everyone to have access to I created an alias to the files and put the alias into the work group favorites folder instead of adding them as a favorite from vector works.

Add the work group folder to all computers in VW options and everyone will have access to all the content and any links you place in the favorites folder will show up in the favorites drop down list.

You do need to set the permissions for the work group folders so everyone can access them.

I just did a test to make sure. I selected one of the work group favorites files in the resource browser of another computer and I was able to open that file on my computer without any problems.

If you placed the actual files in the work group folder that may be the problem or it is just a permissions issue.

Edited by HOUCAD

As David alludes to I think alias' are the key.

In our office, however, we use Apple Remote Desktop to propagate resources from a master machine. I've found this method to be more robust as it doesn't rely on 100% network uptime and allows laptop users to have the latest resources with them at all times.