Strange walls?!

Vincent, you have only two walls with curved parts top and bottom, neither of which appear to have openings in them. One way of doing it would be:

- For the vertical parts use the wall tool in a unique Class and have this show only in the floor and ceiling plan (use the walls with zero height).

- Model the rest of the S shape from one 2D shape extruded in a front elevation view. Use solid subtract to form the holes and remove the parts you don't need.

Provide some dimensions and I'll do a quick example model for you.

No that's ok Mike, thanks for the offer but don't spend time on it (yet) i was thinking along the same lines just haven't tried it yet, i'll get back to you if i run into trouble :) .

I wonder how the rounded wall parts will show up in plan.....i would like them too, i have to find a good function for them inside i.e. cupboards or bench etc.

Thanx!

Edited by Vincent C

Another way to form the 3D shape would be to extrude a profile along a nurbs path, and then as before use solid subtract to form the holes and remove the parts you don't need.

Concentrate on getting the 3D form correct and then worry about the wall representation in Plan View. All you really need then is the 2D view of the wall in Top/Plan View. How you do that wall really depends on how it is constructed. You could simply 2D annotate over it in the plan and section viewports.

On the question of construction is the S shape to be one contiguous construction form, or will it change where it is a floor and/or a roof?

On the question of construction is the S shape to be one contiguous construction form, or will it change where it is a floor and/or a roof?

No it'll change, however section detail will not be generated from the model so I can fix that.

Thanks for the input Mike, there wasn't really anything new or anything i missed, which in itself is a comfort :)

I usually split into a drafting file and a model file when i get further into a project(usually the 3D model is less important after the initial sketching faze, the client usually gets the picture) so that both develop to show their respective info. It shouldn't be that way, but so far they (this again applies to all Apps i use(d)) don't provide the capability i need to generate 2D, 3D model and section/elevation drawings from one model (within time limits i can motivate).

Edited by Vincent C
Another thing related to this, it's not so clear from the renderings but the plan shape is a trapezium meaning that the end walls will need to have angled end caps, do i use the pillar tool to achieve this and keep the top/plan view correct, or is there another way?

You can use the split tool for this one. Make your wall longer than needed, draw a line that represents the cap but larger, and cut the wall with the split tool over the line. The wall will now have an angled cap in 2D and 3D. It can be that you need to redo this while working on the file, because when you edit the wall, angled caps can go back to straight caps.