Coolest Wishes ever

Quick Draw McGraw

Question

1. Chamfer mode for 2D reshape tool change vertex mode.

2. Quick snap to centre of objects (especially lines which take forever to find the centre).

3. Quick Snap to centre of two points.

4. Quick snap to centre of two parallel edges

etc etc etc.

(Well you get the drift of new and improved quick snaps)

5. Object Attributes to be displayed and modified on top bar instead of it's own palette.

6. Edit worksheets in place.

7. Edit objects inside viewports without needing to go to the design layer.

8. 2D reshape tool to work inside filled polygons.

9. Wall cavities to connect properly.

That's all for now.

8 answers to this question

Bruce, you may find that playing around with the checkboxes in the interactive prefs pane will get you closer to some of your requests. Trial and Error or better still hope that Mike oz and Pat Stanford notice your plea and help push you in the right direction.

Anyway . . .

1. It would probably be the best place for it. i've never used the 2D Fillet tool since i started with the Reshape Tool, and if there was also a Chamfer offered within the Reshape the other 2 would be superfluous.(Sorry if i've trodden on anyones toes here)

2. Definitely, but, Prefs again. Maybe a modifier key to augment the snap just to the centre. i'm sure NNA can still find a spare one somewhere. Maybe there is one already . . . . .

3. i understand, but, ZOOM. see 2.

4. Zoom. see 2.

5. Not sure about this one. Think i like 'em where they are. But yes a choice option might satisfy a few like yourself.

6. Your call . .

7. Ditto.

8. if you mean that you can't select a point from the inside of an object, then, a resounding YES! Please?

9. Again, all yours!

You missed out the "Folks" . .. .. .. . . .

1. Chamfer mode for 2D reshape tool change vertex mode.

Equal side fillets would be easy. Unequal sides would have a problem with determining which was the longer leg. Angle modes would also be a little difficult.

2. Quick snap to centre of objects (especially lines which take forever to find the centre).

In Vw 2009 the centrepoint of edges, lines, arcs and regular shaped objects is shown and they are easy to snap to. It is only irregular shaped objects that don't have a centre snapping point.

3. Quick Snap to centre of two points.

Simple in Vw 2009. Hover over the first point until you get a temporary datum, then repeat at the second point. The red connecting line between the two will include a centre snap point.

4. Quick snap to centre of two parallel edges etc etc etc. (Well you get the drift of new and improved quick snaps)

As for 3 above. You can also get the bisector angle between two lines.

5. Object Attributes to be displayed and modified on top bar instead of it's own palette.

You will need to explain what advantage you see in this. I don't think many people will agree with your proposition though based on the reaction to a past suggestion that the Attributes palette be merged with the Object Info Palette

6. Edit worksheets in place.

Once again you will need to explain what advantage you see in this.

I don't think this is possible because a Viewport is a scaled duplicate of source information rather than real information.

8. 2D reshape tool to work inside filled polygons.

Works for me.

9. Wall cavities to connect properly.

There are a few contexts that don't work. If you have one of those submit it as a bug so NNA are aware of it and can address it.

Mike, regarding N? 8. dragging to select a/several points, i get the same problem as Bruce inside the perimeters of a 2D shape. Click to select and nothing happens(if that is indeed what he's talking about).

As for the Snaps. they don't seem too be too good under close proximity or inclined points. But, then that's just me, Or not.

:)

Andrew, I can see the problem you are referring to with marquee select when you try and start the marquee within the filled area. Either you or Bruce should file a bug report for this.

It can be difficult getting the Snap in a congested area. Using the Snap Loupe (Z key) can solve that problem.

I don't think this is possible because a Viewport is a scaled duplicate of source information rather than real information.

AutoCAD does it. It even does it for external files.

Everything that appears on screen is a representation of some underlying data structure.

It's "just" a matter of sorting out the pointers and deciding how to handle viewport over-rides and object attributes (the tricky part).

Even though some would complain, it is probably reasonable to dissallow object attribute modification for the objects in a viewport. However, an option to toggle viewport overrides on an off when editing would be a more elegant solution.

Never considered it a bug, just figured that's the way it worked and got on with it. But if you don't get this with your setup Mike, well, looks like a "Bug Report" is in order, from me and Bruce. As for the Snap Loupe, i'll give it a go.

Edited by AndiACD