Several windows/views simultaneously

It's a bit of a workaround really, but it will do the trick very well.

I appreciate the suggestions guys, really, but i was thinking more along the lines of being able to draft in any of the views at any time....ie hopping from plan view to 3d to elevation (if these happen to be open)....that's not possible with DLVPs. The DLVP solution is good if you want to have an overall view of what you're doing but doesn't deliver the flexibility I'm looking for....we'll see what the future brings. Thanks again.

Edited by Vincent C
It's a bit of a workaround really, but it will do the trick very well.

I appreciate the suggestions guys, really, but i was thinking more along the lines of being able to draft in any of the views at any time....ie hopping from plan view to 3d to elevation (if these happen to be open)....that's not possible with DLVPs. The DLVP solution is good if you want to have an overall view of what you're doing but doesn't deliver the flexibility I'm looking for....we'll see what the future brings. Thanks again.

Well, if you set up saved views, you can do this. It will be a lot of work to start with, but it will do it.

Well, if you set up saved views, you can do this. It will be a lot of work to start with, but it will do it.

This still means that only one view at a time is 'active', doesn't it? A good alternative for now, i admit, however i've become quite adept using the number pad which will have to suffice at present :) . I'm waiting full of anticipation for 2010!!

I also worked with MicroStation and Cinema4D. Multiple windows are high on my wish list too. Once tried, one keeps a life-lasting longing for them.

C4D is great if you learn to stop hating its user interface. I couldn't stop that. Converted my own licence to full-time dust-collector.

Alternative to full multiple windows, I believe that at one point it would be thinkable to see in VW schematic palettes with at least minimal geometric infos. Similar to ArtLantis.

orso

To be honest i think it would suit VW and the way it is setup very well, better than Microstation. The thing that i remember i struggled with when i first started with VW was trying to understand (why) in 3d views the 2d was still present flat in the view and (why) in 3d views only one layer was in 3d (not automatically stacked). Though unique i have gotten used to it, but I think with multi-screen capabilities this setup would function much more 'naturally'.

The main problem that I can think of, is what would happen with our pretty advanced highlights and company -something that Mst can only dream of- should we have multiple windows to manage. One is enough!

For this reason I thought that the stay-open palette with a schematic geometry would be something that might be considered by NNA as viable.

The way VW is set up now doesn't look to me moving towards a multiple windows environment. But I'd be glad to be told differently.

orso

I mean that is pretty hard on the application to keep track of the current user selection or pre-selection on one window with such detailed feedback. And I cannot imagine that some engineer at NNA would feel tempted to stretch this rather complex process over multiple windows.

If you used other applications -again Mst, for example- you would notice that other applications are NOT aware of what the user does at all. But VW is very much aware.

orso

Have no experience with Mst. I find that in Blender, when using multiple views, what is being done in one view is displayed simultaneously in the others. I'm not sure if this what you mean by the app being aware of user input. Are you saying that in Mst, if you perform an action in one view, the others do not respond in real time? Again, using Blender as the example, if I deform an object, the action occurs is all views. There is no lag and it doesn't seem to affect performance.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I don't follow this:

"other applications are NOT aware of what the user does at all. But VW is very much aware."

I think what Orso is talking about is the preselection highlighting showing from merely mousing over objects. And the selection highlighting post click.

I checked my alpha copy of Rhino for the mac and it does show selection highlighting in all viewports, but no pre-selection highlighting. It doesn't show all possible snaps, only the nearest one, but does show them in all viewports.

HTH,

ion

Ion,

Thanks, now I get it. Blender doesn't have preselect highlighting. In fact, Blender has a very unusual interface.

C4D has had this for some time, using a selection mode (Loop Select,eg), the preselect is highlighted in all views as you move the cursor.

I don't think this is beyond the capabilities of the software engineers, NNA just doesn't seem to be interested in multiple views.

gh

Guest Lyndsey

I can offer my opinion which doesn't reflect any official policy. The work to support multiple windows displaying user defined views of the same data is not the best thing we can be doing right now.

Yes, it is technically feasible. Yes, the software engineers are capable. Yes, I believe that NNA would like to provide this support.

However, based on the time and resources required to do such work, it would not make sense for a business to perform this work when there are so many other things of higher priority that need to be done.

I can offer my opinion which doesn't reflect any official policy. The work to support multiple windows displaying user defined views of the same data is not the best thing we can be doing right now.

Yes, it is technically feasible. Yes, the software engineers are capable. Yes, I believe that NNA would like to provide this support.

However, based on the time and resources required to do such work, it would not make sense for a business to perform this work when there are so many other things of higher priority that need to be done.

Thanks for the feedback Lyndsey always nice to have confirmed that Big Brother is actually listening, perhaps in the future when implementation of this doesn't take as much time and resources (I like to be optimistic :) ) it can be incorporated.

Edited by Vincent C