selecting stacked objects, determining class/layer properties

I have a couple things that have been bugging me conceptually, and occasionally get it my way.

If I've got similar objects stacked on top of each other (say, three identically-cropped viewports), all in the same class and on the same layer, is there any way to select one or another? I end up changing their classes in order to hide them and select others, but it's very tedious...

I suppose send to back might work too... There's no way to puck from a list of stacked objects or anything like that, right?

Similarly, I find myself wanting to know the class/layer of objects that aren't on the current layer sometimes, and I can't figure out any easy way to do that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Name them. When you have the vp selected go to the data tab in the oip and type a name it doesn't lock in until you deselect the vp. You can also enter it when you first create them.

In the navagation pallet there is a tab to select vps and you can just click the name you want then you get only that.

Matt

Thanks, that makes sense.

What about the more general question, when things are stacked on top of each other, and it's either difficult to figure out where they are (in layers) and/or they are all in the same class. Is there any way to select from amongst a bunch of stacked objects?

Sorry I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

Maybe you could try to explain an example.

I am not a architect so I may not be the most qualified person in explaining my workflow.

Just a curious, but why are you stacking so many viewports? I have not really found much of a reason to do this. If it is about what you want on top you can designate this in your stack order in layers or by bringing things forward or backward.

The only need I have ever found for this is when I am working on something and I want to do 3d notation I will do it in a right iso or something similar put them on the same layer but different class and then when I make my vp it will put the text in plan view only so I will duplicate a vp on top of it and only turn on my notes then switch to top plan to see them.

Just curious.

Matt

r, is there any way to select one or another?

Similarly, I find myself wanting to know the class/layer of objects that aren't on the current layer sometimes, and I can't figure out any easy way to do that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You can toggle through the different (multiple)selected objects at the top right of the OIP-shape dialog by using the arrows, don't think you can (de)select from there unfortunately.

Just a curious, but why are you stacking so many viewports?

It's a split-level house, and I want to do a stair section that is actually an overlay of 3 different sections, in order to get the right depth to show all of the stairs. I couldn't think of any other way to do it.

You can toggle through the different (multiple)selected objects at the top right of the OIP-shape dialog by using the arrows, don't think you can (de)select from there unfortunately.

That's a big part of what I was talking about. Very helpful, I didn't realize you could do that. It would be cool if there were a way to deselect from there... I can't find any further info about that feature in the Help. Is there any more to it? It seems that there's a button to select "all" versus "one" object info edit mode, and that enables the next/previous selection buttons...

Thanks for pointing this out.

Keith