circular references

Hi -

VW2009-SP3 (build 103277) for the Mac

I am working with someone that is new to Vectoworks but comes from an AutoCAD background. He was pointing out problems that can arise with 'circular references'. For example, we have set up separate files called "Floor Plan-One" and "Structural Grid". We are using viewports to reference information from Structural Grid into Floor Plan-One, but we also need to be able to reference Floor Plan-One into Structural Grid.

After digging through the Vectorworks Tech board, I found something that suggested that this shouldn't be done and that a warning would be issued before Vectorworks would allow for the creation of circular references. However, when I tried it, it worked.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not we should be doing this? Can viewports made using different options that address this circular references?

thanks

Guest Frank Brault

Hi Dan,

You are describing what I'll call cross referenced files. To the programmers, you are technically still creating a circular reference, but a circular FILE reference. This is allowed if the the source and target don't have true circular LAYER references. A circular LAYER reference is created if the source file references a layer in a target file that has a design layer viewport that references a layer from the original source file. Vectorworks indeed doesn't allow this type of circular LAYER references.

So, you can cross-reference (my term) unique layers between files, but you are left to your own wiles to manage the references to assure that there are no circular LAYER references.

hth,

• 3 years later...

The VW help file seems to suggest that circular FILE reference of any kind isn't recommended. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

'Circular references are not allowed; for example, if file A references file B, and file B references file C, then file C cannot reference file A. The exception is if one of the references uses Fundamentals (layer import) referencing.'

http://download2.nemetschek.net/www_misc/2010/Vectorworks%202010%20Help/Data/15_DesignSeries/18_DrawView/Creating_a_Referenced_Design_Layer_Viewport.htm

VW Architect 2011 Mac

OSX 10.8.2