Why are my DTM renderings patchy? I apply a natural grass turf texture and there are large open areas of gray. Also, is there a big improvement regarding DTM from VW12 to VW2009 and where can I find detailed literature or videos on VW's DTM?

VW12, Win XP

Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM

ATI Radeon 4850x2 2GB Video Card

Hello Mattc, firstly, it's called the OIP (object information palette)not IOP and yes I've done that and more. I'm going to update to VW's 2010 in the fall assuming they have these *^$%*BUGS worked out. I'm committed to VW's because I've spent years learning their software and have no intention of learning another. In all fairness though, their software is all I could ask for except for the BUGS!

May not be relevant, but objects, including DTM, sometimes deteriorate if far (miles) from drawing origin. I had a DTM do that patchy thing. When relocated to origin, the patchiness went away. The distance from origin was many 1000s of yards due to ACAD ref points in survey data. This may be fixed in 09 - Haven't investigated.

-B

Why are my DTM renderings patchy? I apply a natural grass turf texture and there are large open areas of gray....

Sounds like you used 3d polys with a solid fill to create the DTM? If so, remove the solid fill of the 3d polys, or uncheck the button to keep the source info when you create the DTM...

Peter, et al: If (like me) you use polylines to create your DTM, there is a bug as follows: Select UNFILLED polylines and CONVERT TO POLYGONS. Make sure all polygons are UNfilled. Select Polygons and use the 2dPolys to 3dContours command and notice that all of the newly created 3d Polys (contours) are FILLED.

I had forgotten this behavior (from version 12.x.x) and therefore I'd guess that it has been fixed in some later version.

Anyhow, glad you found joy!