Room Finish Schedule - Help!

Our chief Architect refuses to use the bundled layout for the Room Finish Schedule as he believes it causes too many problems on the field. He requires the information to be presented in the format attached, yet i've no idea how to set this up.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

I think this can be accomplished by using the Space objects and a custom database worksheet by using IF statements to "see" the value of a finish in the Space object as it is formatted there, but then display it as needed in this schedule.

I must admit, that this is the first time I've ever seen a Room Finish Schedule like this. It may be "old school" but I have no idea what school it came from...

Let me clear a couple things off my plate and see if I can help you out next week. Is that early enough?

Archon,

If you were to argue this point in hopes of compromise, what are the main benefits of the VW method, or drawbacks to what he wants to use?

I'd much rather keep it "factory VW", yet I really don't have a leg to stand on if i were to argue the point now other than it's more work in VW to make it old school.

I can't see why you can't assign multiple finishes to a wall with his method...

this just in:-

"The format is preferred because people on the field can be a bit stupid. They learn the finishes by number, and whilst on the field we often hear supervisor replies to finish questions such as "that wall is 7, floor is 2". Numbering in this fashion is easier for them to both comprehend and remember. Most of them can't count past 10 anyway, so having an alphanumeric prefix only further complicates the matter. All they need to know is "carpet" or "tile", the specific variants of which are in the spec and colour boards. That said, we're open to compromise". (paraphrased).

Edited by highpass

"The format is preferred because people on the field can be a bit stupid. They learn the finishes by number, and whilst on the field we often hear supervisor replies to finish questions such as "that wall is 7, floor is 2". Numbering in this fashion is easier for them to both comprehend and remember. Most of them can't count past 10 anyway, so having an alphanumeric prefix only further complicates the matter. All they need to know is "carpet" or "tile", the specific variants of which are in the spec and colour boards. That said, we're open to compromise". (paraphrased).

Niiice!

As a 'person often in the field' I find this highly offensive, and ask that this post be deleted.

Not really.

But what a Jack-A*%!!!

This is the kind of attitude that gives architects a bad name.

If you want his blurb deleted i'll happily do so, doesn't bother me. A few years ago I would have been just as appalled as you at his statement, but working locally in this area of the country has me sadly believing him. It's a harsh statement but after the problems he's had/money he's lost with such people in the past it's fair enough.

Anyway, I'm trying to push the more accurate acronyms change but I have a feeling that crossing my fingers won't be quite enough.