Vectorworks 9 Crashing Constantly

I have had trouble with Vectorworks 9 crashing constantly no matter what I'm trying to do. I receive a Windows blue screen stating error: 0E : 0028 : C0058739. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Vectorworks and shutting down all background software with no change. Has anyone else received this error or does anyone have an idea what's causing this?

System Spec's

Windows ME with DirectX 8.0

Abit KT-7 Raid MB (Via Chipset)

AMD Athlon 900 T-Bird w/256Mb Multiwave Direct PC 150 Ram (mwave.com)

IBM Deskstar 30Gb Ultra-ATA 100 HD

Maxtor 13Gb ATA 33 HD

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon w/32Mb DDR Ram

Creative Soundblaster Live Value 5.1

Adaptec SCSI Card (for 4X Matsua (Panasonic OEM) CDR)

HP 16X CDRW (IDE)

Toshiba 40X CD Rom

I am allowing Windows to manage the swap file (1.6Gb avail.)

Exactly my problem! (see original post). A couple key points:

I do have Renderworks installed.

I am running Win ME (!!! could this be it !!!)

I successfully imported a 3D drawing done in 8.5.2 and was able to have Renderworks render each layer (fairly quickly!), BUT I couldn't see all rendered layers together, and when I tried to go to layers dialogue to create a new layer to copy all objects to...

attempting to open the layers dialogue box caused the program to crash!

Finally, I was able to open the dialogue box in a fresh, new file, without imported stuff.

Anybody else?

quote:

Originally posted by theSnoMan:

I have had trouble with Vectorworks 9 crashing constantly no matter what I'm trying to do. I receive a Windows blue screen stating error: 0E : 0028 : C0058739. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Vectorworks and shutting down all background software with no change. Has anyone else received this error or does anyone have an idea what's causing this?

System Spec's

Windows ME with DirectX 8.0

Abit KT-7 Raid MB (Via Chipset)

AMD Athlon 900 T-Bird w/256Mb Multiwave Direct PC 150 Ram (mwave.com)

IBM Deskstar 30Gb Ultra-ATA 100 HD

Maxtor 13Gb ATA 33 HD

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon w/32Mb DDR Ram

Creative Soundblaster Live Value 5.1

Adaptec SCSI Card (for 4X Matsua (Panasonic OEM) CDR)

HP 16X CDRW (IDE)

Toshiba 40X CD Rom

I am allowing Windows to manage the swap file (1.6Gb avail.)

I have imported a drawing I had previously done in 8(3D) and was able to work with it longer then any other drawing I've tried to create from scratch in 9.0 before it crashed. VW9 generally crashes within 2 minutes of opening it. Who know's, maybe WinME is the problem, god knows I've definitely had an increased amount of problems in general since switching from 98.

I have also noticed the software seems very slugish compared to previous versions.

(I also have RW9 installed)

I've been digging around a little bit on the Microsoft website and so far here is some information I've found which I do beleive pertains to my problem, but it sounds like there is not much I can do about it.

From the Microsoft Knowledge base:

SUMMARY

When you attempt to shut down your computer, start Windows, or start a program in Windows, you may encounter error messages that are similar to:

A fatal exception XY has occurred at xxxx:xxxxxxxx

Fatal exception errors are codes that are returned by a program in the following cases:

Access to an illegal instruction has been encountered

Invalid data or code has been accessed

The privilege level of an operation is invalid

When any of these cases occurs, the processor returns an exception to the operating system, which in turn is handled as a fatal exception error. In many cases the exception is non-recoverable and the system must either be restarted or shut down, depending upon the severity of the error.

In the sample error message that is listed above, XY represents the actual processor exception from 00 to 0F. (Note that the "h" that is listed after the 0E, 0F, and so on, in the explanations below is frequently omitted from the error message.) The xxxx:xxxxxxxx value represents the enhanced instruction pointer to the code segment; the 32-bit address is the actual address where the exception occurred.

Windows does not cause these errors, but has the exception-handling routine for that particular processor exception, which displays the error message

14 (0Eh): Page Fault

The Page Fault interrupt allows the operating system to implement virtual memory on a demand-paged basis. An interrupt 14 usually is issued when an access to a page directory entry or page table with the present bit set to 0 (Not present) occurs. The operating system makes the page present (usually retrieves the page from virtual memory) and re-issues the faulting instruction, which then can access the segment. A page fault also occurs when a paging protection rule is violated (when the retrieve fails, or data retrieved is invalid, or the code that issued the fault broke the protection rule for the processor). In these cases the operating system takes over for the appropriate action.

Any one out there have any ideas? I would sure appreciate it if any one could give me some pointers as I have already emailed Nemetschek Tech support and haven't received a reply as of yet.

More to report on my crashing problem:

If I disable Virtual memory on my PC I still get the crash but it changes to - File name: VMCPD(01) + 00000A8D Error: 0E : 0028 : C0058739

If I use selective startup and disable static VXD's I get Error: 0E : 0028 : C004F295 when vectorworks crashes.

After creating a new drawing I was able to change scale a few times and then out of the blue it crashes trying to open the layer menu. So I opened VW and tried to open the layer menu again with the same results. (Same error originally generated)

When working with polylines and arc smoothing them it ALWAYS crashes in less then 2 minutes (usually less then 1 minute). Kinda makes a guy want to sharpen his pencil and get the crash proof drawing board back out.

[This message has been edited by theSnoMan (edited 06-20-2001).]

I sympathise with your situation, I too have had some interesting times with Windows and VW9.

Much to my frustration I have had to, out of necessity, learn more than I particularly wanted to about the Windows system.

I run Win98 SE.

I couldn't run VW9 at all when first installed, I had to go through with the selective startup (Registry Editor) and isolate the problem which was a 3D Audio Driver conflict, fixed that up.

Error Message: No spare stack pages, fix that up.

I also have a quirky one where, when changing pen or fill colours from the palette on a new default page an error occurs and the program shuts down, close the default page, open a new one and no problems.(Can't seem to get to the bottom of this one). I haven't had the dreaded "Blue Screen" yet.

The frustrating thing was that I would fix one thing and up would pop another, in other applications also (Not present prior to installing VW9, VW8.5.2 OK)

I have searched, downloaded and loaded multitudes of new drivers and update patches

and stuck at it so that I could use VW9.

See if you can isolate or locate the conflict and the Microsoft Support has plenty of "self help" articles that will assist. See Q192926 "How to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Win 98", I believe it also is applicable to Win ME. Check it out.

Good Luck! smile.gif

Thanks for the help, unfortunately I've used the Win ME selective startup utility and disabled all startup programs and what not with no positive results. I beleive this just a case of software not workig properly with the OS. Well maybe the patch will fix it who knows since I can't seem to get Nemetschek to respond by either email or this board.

Thanks again for trying

I have checked the resources and they are at 71%(w/Norton System Doctor) before VW and at 62% when running but the program now crashes EVERY time I try to open the layers pallet on this very simple drawing I created from scratch in VW9, even if it's the very first thing I do.

I've launched Norton System Doctor while running VW to monitor several differant things at once and all look fine, theres absolutely no indication that any resources may be even close to low.

This machine is also used for video editing so I really doubt that VW uses more resources then that though I could be wrong.

Other software titles that run fine on this machine include:

Macromedia Dreamweaver 4

Macromedia Fireworks 4

Adobe Photodeluxe 3.0

JASC Paintshop Pro 7

Filemaker Pro 5 & Developer

All of these things lead me to beleive that it's not my machine causing the problem rather it's a bug in your software.

SnoMan,

VectorWorks uses a lot of Windows resources. Check the level of available resources before and after starting VW using the Resource Monitor and let me know what you find. Lack of resources is a source of many crashes.

Note: By resources I mean Windows resources (handles to objects internal to Windows) and these do not increase with added memory or added disk space. You can turn on all the Virtual memory you want without affecting the number of Windows resources available.

HTH,

------------------

Robert McBride

Software Engineer

Nemetschek N.A. Inc

mcbride@nemetschek.net

Do you NNA Tech folks have any other ideas? I shut down all background programs, I've disabled items like system restore, I've tried changing and moving the swap file and even shut off virtual memory all together, I've monitored the Windows system resources, as well as changed to differant video drivers and the results are the same. I really don't know at this point what else to try short of re-installing Windows and that isn't an option (2 solid day's to reformat and re-install all applications).

Let me ask you this, If I hold out for the patch and it doesn't fix it will I be left with a couple nifty custom coasters or will NNA make this right (i.e. refund)?

My cut of date for returning this program for a refund is July 4th. I regret being one of the very first buyers of VW9. If I can't get the patch to fix this POS to some form of useable condition I will unfortunatley return my copy, use VW8, and await VW10.

Autocad ran intot this problem with version 10 and 13. Their odd number releases were always bug prone, but not to this extent.

I too had the layer scale freeze problem happen on a nother computer that I just got rid of.

I still have a problem when I change the line weight, the object properties box turns all different colors and I loose the icons in some of the tool bars. If I ignore it and keep working the fonts of the text inside the program screen (not the text on the project screen on the model) change to different enlarged Arial type font. Then I finally get the dreaded Low Memory box. If I cancel this and keep working the program locks up after a few more operations. I use that as my warning to save. (poor man's automatic save reminder).

Maybe we can get a 30 day extention on the return policy when the patch arrives since the program hasn't worked correctly from day1.

I've talked to a couple of other people who run VW9 for the same reasons I do (light plots/ set drafting) and have discovered that a) they run Win98SE and b) have very few problems or (one claims) none.

I am concluding the biggest problem is compatability with WinME. I will soon be ordering a secondary hard drive and setting my machine up as dual boot with the second HD running only Win98SE and VW9. (This should also eliminate bunches of clutter from loading in the first place when I want to draft.)

Another detail to add to the database: With a new document, I can set up my layers no problem as long as that's the first thing I do (or second...I did preferences first). But once I had created OBJECTS-- then accessing layers box -- well, you know how it turns out. smile.gif

dclxvi

Well I now have a little more information to report. I just set my PC up as a dual boot system (Partition Magic 6) and installed Win98 & Vectorworks and guess what!!!! It still crashes so that rules out WinME as the problem. Here is the exact error reported by Win98: Fatal Exception 0E has occured at 0028:C0059269. Any ideas techies? It's not likely to be caused by any other software either because I have installed only a couple since putting Win98 back on the machine. Man this is getting real frustrating.