Any experience with Microsoft Windows 7 RC?

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with VW 2008 on a machine running Windows 7 Beta (or 7 RC, which is soon to be released)? From what I have been reading, it is more stable than Vista, but I have not been able to find any Vw users on 7.

I was going to try Windows 7 RC on my iMac running Bootcamp as a bit of an experiment, and to see if it is better than Vista Ultimate (which is jumpier than a cat on my work machine).

I wouldn't expect any Beta or release candidate to be more stable than Vista SP2.

If you're having problms, I'd suspect video.

Either the graphics driver or quicktime or both. In my experience, VW 2008 doesn't play well with Windows Media Player and several online media steaming formats.

With Vista Ultimate, I have noticed the same closing VW files. It can just sit there for a log time. But if I log out VW closes straight away. Bizarre.

Yes I know that t sounds absurd, but the tech people I have been listening to are saying it is quicker, and in many cases more stable. Microsoft are trying to make a big statement with this release, as they have Google, Linux and Apple breathing down their necks. Obviously, the usual caveats apply. Don't use it for your everyday work computer, although some are.

Yes, I will be downloaded the RC. I will check back to say how I have gone as well.

Yes Brudgers,

I have noticed that VW doesn't like media streaming or having iTunes going at the same time either. I thought that was just my machine. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I don't have much trouble with realplayer, or youtube, or The Daily Show

I used to have trouble with ESPN360 but the new player doesn't give me any grief.

But I can't run Windows Media Player and VW2008 at the same time and maintain stability. And it's not just this machine. I had the same issues on my laptop before I bought it.

Maybe it is more the way Windows handles memory. On the Mac I flick between many apps at rapid speed and most of the time, it doesn't feel like they are affecting each other (although I have found older versions of Office to make things jumpy), but I don't seem to be able to do this in Windows without them affecting each other.

It seems memory gets eaten up very quickly in Vista, but in 10.5 not much seems to hinder it. Also I believe that Vista 32bit realistically uses only about 2.5GB of my 4GB RAM, so maybe that is the problem I am running into.

In know that 64bit can be a problem, and in our office our 64bit machine cannot do many things due to lack of drivers, but will it allow me to access all of that memory that is currently unused?

The only issue you are likely to encounter with x64 drivers is for older plotters and printers...and you can purchase winline to support those.

Nearly all recent hardware supports x64 and anything you purchase from a major vendor will.

Given that you're using a 512mb 8600 GT, I would supsect that it's a video card issue and Vectorworks related. The standard RAM for an 8600 is 256mb see:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

The card maker probably tweeked the card. I recommend looking at their drivers rather than Nvidia's.

Once quicktime has thrashed the video subsystem just about anything else can become buggy.

It seems memory gets eaten up very quickly in Vista, but in 10.5 not much seems to hinder it. Also I believe that Vista 32bit realistically uses only about 2.5GB of my 4GB RAM, so maybe that is the problem I am running into.

Unless you are running in 3GB boot mode, 32 bit Vista will only allow an application access to 2GB of process RAM, irrespective of how much is fitted. Its not a VW issue, but a limitation with the 32bit Windows architecture that it inherited from VAX/VMS.

To make use of >2GB application space in Vista 32 or 64, I believe that you need 2009 as it is compiled/linked with an option that allows >2GB address space. I do not believe that 2008 has this option.

Yes I was aware of the memory limitations of Vista / 32bit OS's. Maybe it is the way I am using Windows. It's jumpiness reminds me of Mac OS 9. Maybe I just need to close some windows and not have as many things running as I tend to do on the Mac.

Anyway I don't want to get into another Mac vs PC flame war. Mac just suits my way of working better, and I know a little more about them. If something is jumpy, I know what not to step on. On a PC I have no clue.

Anyway, I will be looking forward to downloading Windows 7 this week.

90% of the time I am working in VW I am running iTunes streaming to an AirPort Express. Never noticed any issues.

I suppose that many people don't experience issues...and I wouldn't expect issues to be as likely with iTunes since it's integrated with quicktime.

Try running some streams through windows media player and post back...I'm curios.

Yes I was aware of the memory limitations of Vista / 32bit OS's. Maybe it is the way I am using Windows. It's jumpiness reminds me of Mac OS 9. Maybe I just need to close some windows and not have as many things running as I tend to do on the Mac.

Well, I always have a min. of 10 windows open and had never any problems with it. It's more an issue of hardware vs software.

Yes. Briefly I have tried XP via Bootcamp on my iMac, it has seemed more reliable with the more integrated hardware (Versus an OEM by a small computer store that we use at work. Maybe a Dell or some other bigger band would be more reliable). Anyway, tomorrow morning I will download Windows 7 and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know. I have been using Windows 7 RC for a couple, and I have to say, on my iMac, I am impressed. Works wonderfully. Looks beautiful. Feels quicker than Vista, and more stable than Vista or XP. Finally I am impressed with a Windows OS (and for a Mac lover such as myself that is saying something). I actually like the thought of booting into Windows 7. As I said in my earlier post, I suspect that the integreted hardware is helping greatly. So if you want to get a great experience from Windows, buy a Mac! (I think it was Walt Mosberg that said that the best laptop to run Vista on was a Macbook Pro - well this is a similar suggestion).

Oh yeah...Vectorworks runs great.

I also run Windows 7 RC now for about a week and everything runs smoothly. It feels beter than Vista (except for that ugly fish of a background that I changed immediatly). I took the 64bit version and must say that everything, Vectorworks included, runs faster than my 32bit vista. It also seems to be better handling errors than vista. With vista I had a blue screens three to four times a week, now I only had one till know, and it was my own fault. I really recommand this new Windows!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I love the architectural desktop pictures. Aside from the eye candy, there are a treasure trove of speed-ups and little navigation items that just make it that much easier to get things done which is the main point. Well done Microsoft. I really would recommend this for daily use. I know it is a beta, so be warned, but I really is that good.

This new injection of confidence for Microsoft is needed with Linux and all the other OS's that are out there breathing down their neck, and of course the next Mac OS to be released shortly. That said, I won't moan as loudly if I have to use a PC anymore. Especially on my Mac. I really do think it is hardware dependant. So before upgrading, get the hardware that is proven reliable as much possible, because I think it will make life a great deal easier.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just installed Win7 build 7100 and found when I try to install VE I get the following error...

can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from my computer."

did any one else have this problem when they tried to install or did it just go first time with no problems