Filter layer and class drop down list plus search classes....

mike mcneil

Question

I wish there was a way we could filter the layer and class drop down lists. In particular it would be helpful the filter out the sheet layer lists.

Also it would be extremely useful to have search function the navigation palette or in the organization window. The filter function would also be useful in the org. window and nav. palette.

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

I think he means a way to order the class/sheet lists with a certain hierarchy.

If he does mean this :) I agree, when i open my class-navigation-dialog it takes forever to scroll to the classes at the bottom. I've always liked the way the list is ordered (hierarchy) in the View Bar and OIP, it's just a pity you can't edit for example class visibility from these dialogs.

Edited by Vincent C

In AutoCAD, you have a way to filter out the files layers in the layer dialog box which is similar to the organization palette.

For example, if I want to search for a layer/class in AutoCAD, you can use a regular expression in the layer dialog box the to show only the layers being searched for thereby limiting the layers that show up in the dialog box. This simplifies the long list of layers that are sometimes present. Plus, this set of filtered layers can be save so that they will only show the filtered layers in the drop down list available in the drawing. As an aside, it does not change the drawing's visibility settings.

I realize this is a bit similar saving class and layer views in VW, but all the classes and layers are still visible in the nav. palette, drop down class and layer list, and org. dialog. I know this can also be partially achieved with class nesting as well, but sometimes I don't need to see all the classes that pertain to the ceiling, the site, structure, etc.

I would like this type of functionality in VW since the class list can get a bit long to search through. Also it would be nice to limit what available layers are showing in the layer drop down as this can get long as well if sheet layers are present the drawing as well.

Quite honestly, I am a bit lazy and I hate scrolling through long lists if it's not required. Plus, I think it speeds up productivity as searching for some thing in a list of things, regardless if it is well organized or not, is time consuming. That is why I tap the letter of the class I am looking for in the nav. palette to highlight the layer I am searching for. It would be just be easier to limit what is showing up in the list in the first place.

When you are in the drop down box are in the organization palette, you can type in the first letters and get to those layers/classes directly.

Not quite the same as wildcard searching.

For example, there's no way to group the classes that end in "spec."

Personally, I'd like to see the ability to group everything in folders, classes, layers,textures, symbols, wall styles, worksheets, you name it...let me put it in a folder and navigate it via tree views.

Edited by brudgers

I've only been using vecotorworks a month or so,

Is there a way to only see the classes (in the navigation panel) relevant to the layer you are currently working on? 

e.g.

I have the site survey and architectural elements on one layer, with the related 100 classes or so, but I have no need to edit them as I'll need to use them for reference later (I'm a Landscape Architect just to clarify). Yet I have no uses for the classes in the navigation panel (but I do need to see them as I work),

A slightly garbled question there but It makes sense!