When is update 9.1 due out?

I am stilling frustrated with the problems of:

Large blocks of text regenerating very slowly.

OPEN GL rendering produces some really scary images, with triangles and rectangles all over the space. Quickdraw in 8.5.2 was much better and faster.

When you select "no fractions" in the dimensions setup for BOTH on screen and actual dimensions, the fractions still show up. Annoying because the option for rounding to the nearest inch is obviously meant to be there but it doesn't work. Also. very embarrassing when a contractor or plans examiner says, "1/2 inch? Yeah OK. How are they going to do that?"

We would like to know when the update is available also. I can not seem to get a date from Nemetschek.

At least your program functions somewhat (athough it seems it functions quite poorly) ours crashes our computers everytime we use layer scale or print.

Imangine, a CAD program that can't dimension, scale, or print!????

Jeff

Hello,

I had also problems with Vectorworks 8.5.2. I contacted Nemetschek who solved our problem.

I think it is best that both of you contact Technical support of Nemetschek and ask them for a solution that works for you.

I received an answer in 3 days which solved all our problems.

I readed a message from several persons at Nemetschek that they take the printing problem very seriously and that this problem have the highest priority for them. So I believe them.

I hope you will find a solution for your problems very soon, so you can work again normally.

Friendly greetings,

StarGate

(Chrissy)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by jkrentz:

We would like to know when the update is available also. I can not seem to get a date from Nemetschek.

The reason NNA doesn't tend to give out dates for things like this is that it's more important to get it right than to hit a particular date. The worst thing NNA could do is release a new version that, even if it solves many problems, has a problem that is so vital to the operation of VectorWorks that the upgrade is useless. So they try to make sure that doesn't happen, rather than trying to push for a particular date.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

Stargate (Chrissy),

We have spent in excess of 8 hours with technical support alone. We have spent $$$.$$ dollars on new hardware (video cards)that Nemetschek said we had to change in order to fix the problem.

Between the man hours spent with technical support, trouble shooting their problem for them, taking down each work station to rebuild it and the cost of the product, site licenses, Renderworks and new hardware for each machine, Nemetschek's problem with their program has literally cost us thousands of dollars. This is NOT EVEN counting the lost revenue due to down time on our machines.

After all was said and done the problem is still unresolved. Nemetschek's answer? "We can't do anything for you. Wait until the patch is released. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't."

I have been a user of Diehlgraphsoft products since MiniCAD 5. I can understand a glitch in a toolbar or problem with a font but a CAD program that can't print or scale defeats the whole purpose for the program's existance. This is unacceptable and should be remedied BEFORE working on any other ventures like Landmark.

The only reason I can see that this issue and a WORKING patch is not at Nemetschek's top of their list is that Nemetschek cares a whole lot less about their customers than Diehlgraphsoft did.

We are close approaching our 90 day return period. Nemetschek is grossly mistaken if they think design professionals will continue using their CAD products when they can't scale or print.

I guess it seems to me that maybe you should replace the one broken part(the software) vs. changing the currently functioning parts. I know no one wants to hear it, because I myself love the Minicad/Vectorworks software line but when a software company tells you theres nothing more we can do for you what I hear is "we are tired of trying to figure out why this software doesn't function properly".

Well, I just crashed a file I was working on for three weeks in design development. I few seconds before it crashed I exported it to VW 8.5. Now I can't open the V9 drawing at all. It constatly comes up with a Runtime error.

I'm starting to rethink my software selection for my new business. Autocad AD3 I know for a fact is much mor stable. May not be as easy to use, but at least you don't have as much downtime because of crashes and conflicts with hardware. Sorry, but VW is starting to look like a total loss.

Just for the record: I am now using VW 9 on three or four projects and, except for some really irritating but workable bugs, I am scaling, dimensioning, printing, etc. with no problems. Hint: do not try to work on older files (8...) in 9 until NNA fixes the translator. Other than that there are a few really bothersome glitches, most noteably in text creation and management, which I am looking forward to seeing fixed.

PLC Mac G4/HP DJ230

We are in the same boat as "cipesdesign"- We are Mac based, and besides some glitches and irritating bugs (especially using workgroup references), we arer successfully using VW9. We can print fine, and have been opening and saveing as old VW files without a problem. We are looking forward to the upgrade release too, hoping it will cure some of the bugs. My question to some of the above posts- what do you mean by "can't scale"? We can set our layer scale no problem- I haven;t heard that term used since the hand draftiing days when we would have to remeind people not to "scale drawings"...

------------------

Jim McAuliffe, RA

NNA is going to start losing customers if they don't respond to the problems being described in these forums. I started with Mincad 5 and added AutoCAD out of necessity.

I am now using VW 9 and Architectural Desktop 3. My reluctant conclusion is that ADT 3 is the far superior program. I have lost faith in NNA's regard for its customers and its product.

I don't know what position Andrew Bell holds at NNA, but I would rather hear from someone who is "A SPOKESMAN FOR NNA".

I also had one file where every time i tried to change the layer scale on a newly created layer it made the program crash.

I agree with you about the limited testing on windows. Great marketing they did. 15,000 HOURS OF TESTING, 5,000 HOURS OF DEBUGGING. TO GET YOU THE MOST STABLE PROGRAM EVER. Blah Blah Blah.

MAC is their core product. They are the only other really good CAD program on the mac besides Archicad(I think).

My only reason for not going back to Architectural Desktop is because VWA has it all roled into one. Drawing, rendering, etc.. But maybe that's the problem. Maybe the low price is spreading their staff too thin?

I am seriously considering purchasing Punch 3D , see Journal of Light Construction page 49 January 2001 "Low Cost, No Cost Cad" for presentation work and then exporting to Autocad to do my drafting (faster shortcut keys and more stable).

I client showed me a very impressive 3d rendering he did of his house addition on 3d Home Architect. Not award winning but still very nice. And he's not even an architect.

NNA has informed me that 9.0.1 is due out the first week of July but who knows whether or not it will cure my crashing problems. They seem confident the problems are coming from my computer and not VW9 but if that was the case why are the crashes so consistent? I CAN crash this thing EVERY time doing the same thing. I know Windows isn't the most stable thing in the world but I've also worked with Mac's and they also crash but generally a hardware or OS related issue seems to be more sporadic and much less consistent, or at least that?s how it's been for me. Good Luck to the others experiencing the same problems.

quote:

Originally posted by CARMELHILL2:

I am stilling frustrated with the problems of:

Large blocks of text regenerating very slowly.

Thank you for the information. I have been able to reproduce the problem on the Windows platform. If you are on Mac I would be interested in a copy of the file that included this text block. Our developers will be looking into this matter.

quote:

OPEN GL rendering produces some really scary images, with triangles and rectangles all over the space. Quickdraw in 8.5.2 was much better and faster.

For instances of this nature we usually request a file that would demonstrate such an occurance. If possible could you send a copy to tech@nemetschek.net so that we could reproduce what you are seeing?

quote:

When you select "no fractions" in the dimensions setup for BOTH on screen and actual dimensions, the fractions still show up. Annoying because the option for rounding to the nearest inch is obviously meant to be there but it doesn't work. Also. very embarrassing when a contractor or plans examiner says, "1/2 inch? Yeah OK. How are they going to do that?"

Please make sure you are doing the following in order to not see the fractions in your dimensions:

1.Go to the Page Menu.

2.Select the Unit...

3.Set Units For Dimension Objects (Primary)

4.Under the Rounding section select Round to the nearest: No Fractions

I hope this helps.

As for the Release date of the patch, VectorWorks 9.0.1 should be in the mail or received by our customers on or close to the 28th of June. VectorWorks Architect 9.0.1 will be shortly thereafter due the second week of July.

As many of the listed problems noted in other posts in this thread require more information in order to get helpful solutions, I suggest you contact Technical Support tech@nemetschek.net or by Phone: 410.290.5114. We will do everything it takes to provide you with one or more of the following: Provide you with a solution, Provide you with a work around for a task at hand and/or make our developers aware of a problem that needs attention.

Respectfully,

Mike Swilley

Technical Support Manager

Nemetschek North America

[This message has been edited by MikeS (edited 06-22-2001).]

I have already given the information to NNA. I just reproduced ythe problem with a completely new drawing and only three square cubes drawn on the page. Rendered with openGL and a triangle appears in the middle of the screen.

Text problem in windoiws98 also and was reported already. They said they were working on it.

Windows 98

Mike: You might think about posting a notice for the release of 9.01 someplace more obvious for all of us who would like to use 9.0 but can't because it doesn' work. Personally, my copy is sitting on a shelf collecting dust. If the company thinks it has delivered a quality product,guess again. One only need review the complaints both from Mac (mostly printing)and from PC users(where are the classes?)to understand. There seems to be a lot of people (myself included) who are now looking into other CAD alternatives. Something one did not hear much about with 8.5. On the other hand if Nemestchek is trying to kill this product to make Allplan look more appealling, they're doing a good job.

Well said jnr. As a matter of fact, I'm presently evaluating several different programs for this reason. I suppose that I'm really holding my breath, hoping that what gets released next from NNA will be the program that everyone has been hopig for.

Consider this tale of woe, however: Although I've had MiniCAD for a number of years, it wasn't necessary for me to use it to make a living...I'm one of those architects with an "administrative job". During the last 6 months or so, I've reached the point that I actually _want_ to get back into the fray (!), and so I broke out MC 7.0.3 for some serious usage.

I had considered the upgrade to VW when 8.0 was released, but the hollering was so loud, that I thought I would wait. (Yeah, I know...) Well, 8.5 finally came out, and there was still some grousing, so it was easy enough to tell myself to wait for 9. (Remember, I'm not making any money by using this program, so it's easier to put it off...)

Well, as my intent shifted, and 9.0 shipped, the stench has been almost overwhelming! I've had the same thought as jnr: if this is somehow a "plot" to bury VW, it's beginning to work! All of the bad reactions from you guys out there trying to make a living with this program have my sympathy...and NNA doesn't yet have my money!

I've been evaluating BOA (interesting, but a bit "intellectual" for me, I'm afraid...and besides, I'm one of those architects who learned to design from the inside out...), PowerCADD (those sample drawings may only be 2D, but they make me drool and long for the good ol' days...but it seems to be a bit "sloppy" in its approach to things that need be be easier to do accurately), DenebaCADD (interesting to look at, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mac user, and this thing still feels too "Wintel" for me to be comfortable with...but I may decide to bite the bullet soon!), and I've given cursory glances at other programs, such as Cadintosh, RealCADD, etc. I refuse, under ANY circumstances to use an AutoDesk product...and I'm even supposed to be "certified" to use AC2000!

Now...NNA has released LandMark, that is reportedly shipping with VW 9.0.1, they've apparently mailed out VW 9.0.1 to registered owners of 9.0 (with NO formal announcement), and they're trying to get VWA 9.0.1 out the door in the next 2-3 weeks. BUT...if you'll go back and read the messages all over the web, they've been saying "two weeks" for this stuff for the last several months.

Given my position (not having to use a cad program to feed my family, etc.), I can afford to wait. Most of you probably can't. I know how anxious that I'm getting here, so I can only imagine how you feel, and I would strongly suggest, as did jnr, that NNA get some sort of LOUD and formal announcement out on Monday of this week (6/25/01). They not only owe it to you guys, but they're about to begin seeing their users disappearing in droves!

I'd like to be more sympathetic to the folks at NNA, but I've seen things from that side of the fence too, and I can tell you that you've already blown off one of your feet, and the hammer is back to shoot the other one as well. Please don't keep ignoring all of your long-loyal users, thinking that they'll continue to wait interminably.

<Jack>

Well, I couldn't wait. I've switched back to Autocad 14. I will use this as my drafting engine until VW can fix their product - or until my 90 day return date comes closer. I will put off any new presentation 3d modeling work until I can decide on whether to use VWA or buy something cheesey like Punch 3d Home Architect. For $85 I've heard the custom furniture designer is worth it alone. It can export to dwg and dxf.

IP: Logged

jnr

Member 15 posted 06-22-2001 03:58 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike: You might think about posting a notice for the release of 9.01 someplace more obvious for all of us who would like to use 9.0 but can't because it doesn' work. Personally, my copy is sitting on a shelf collecting dust. If the company thinks it has delivered a quality product,guess again. One only need review the complaints both from Mac (mostly printing)and from PC users(where are the classes?)to understand. There seems to be a lot of people (myself included) who are now looking into other CAD alternatives. Something one did not hear much about with 8.5. On the other hand if Nemestchek is trying to kill this product to make Allplan look more appealling, they're doing a good job.

I AGREE WITH U 100% (Especially the "Allplan" part). Thanks jnr for speaking for a lot of us.

Shaun

The VectorWorks 9.0.1 is complete and is in the process of duplication and mailing to our customers. A large public announcement will be out tomorrow.

If you feel you require a copy of the 9.0.1 version before the updates reach all of the customers that have purchased VectorWorks 9.0.0 then please contact Technical Support by any of the following.

Email: tech@nemetschek.net

Phone: 410.290.5114

Fax: 410.290.8050

We in Tech Support truly empathize with customers that are frustrated. Solutions will be given to these customers as soon as they are available. There is absolutely no plot to kill VectorWorks to make All Plan more appealing. On the contrary, there is great pressure to increase market share, improve the product and develop the standard of the future.

Respectfully,

Mike Swilley

Technical Support Manger

Nemetschek North America

I think it was me who introduced the idea about Allplan against VW. I wrote down this because this actually is the biggest fear I have about VW / Nemetschek. I had to evaluate Allplan for another company.

This thought should be considered in the following sense:

I don't want to work with any other software. VW is great.

Unless it doesn't print, show selection handles, warps memory usage etc...

Whenever I get new software or software updates I am very careful on changing over everything right away. My approach is to put the update on an extra machine to test drive until I feel it works as advertised. I am still testing VWA 9. For the time being I will keep working very productively in VW8.5.2. When I do switch over to 9 it will be for new files only. I will still work in 8.5.2 for all files started in 8.5.2. until I completely fill comfortable that I can import 8.5.2 to 9. I am amazed that some companies take the incredible chance of changing over all at once. This system has worked great since MC5. NO down time. VW9 should be an improvement but what's the rush? It's not that big an improvement over 8.5.2.

On another note. Nemetschek should immediately extend the warranty period on VW9 to promote confidence. I think it highly unlikely they have these problems to promote allplan. The VW programmers are probably working many allnighters to repair the bugs ASAP. They want to keep their jobs and if bugs continue it's bye-bye.

Henry

Good points Henry. And I would certainly agree with your cautious approach. That's what kept me (unfortunately, in some ways) from jumping to VW when it came out. Perhaps I should have done as you.

As for the programmers, engineers, et al, I have no question as to their sincerity and wholehearted attempts to smash every bug and to satisfy every user's request. I know that you've been around this forum for a goodly number of years now, and would agree that they, the staff of DG/NNA are the main reason that user loyalty is as high as it is, but they are becoming victims of circumstances over which they, individually, have no control. Did you see the press release today, regarding shipping of 9.0.1, as Mike indicated? Me either. That's not his fault, I'm sure, nor is it likely to be any ONE's fault...somebody further up the ladder said that it wasn't yet ready for that announcement, most likely. Was it Rich? Maybe...or maybe one of Rich's bosses. Regardless, the users continue to twist and thrash, when all they need is some comforting. Sigh.

If they HAD released such an announcement today, it would have provided some sort of veracity to at least one staff member's statements. As it is, they've left him with egg on his face now.

<Jack>

THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE POSTED TO THIS FORUM,

I'M A STRUGGLING ENGINEER?, AND I HAVE NOT

MUCH GOOD HERE, I REALLY WANT TO GO TO A BETTER PLACE, DOCUMENTATION SUCKS, $$ FOR JANIS KENTS BOOKS OUT THERE TO ROUND OUT A GOOD EXPERIENCE, "COME-ON PEOPLE NOW LETS-GET-TOGETHER, TRY TO LOVE/HELP ONE ANOTHER RIGHT NOW"-STOP FUSSIN AND BE BETTER THAN "AUTOCAD" OR THROW-IN THE TOWEL.

I CAN'T GIVE ANYMORE AND CAN'Y AFFORD AN UPDATE BASED ON THESE RETURNS, HELL PANCHO VILLA WOULD HAVE BEAT ANYBODY SOUTH!