Exported DWGs: No Copy/Paste?!

HP Sauce

Question

15 answers to this question

Ah, sorry.. Monday morning and all that...

We export the drawing from VW 09 to ACAD 02 DWG. We then open the exported drawing in ACAD to test it.

Whilst then in ACAD, it is not possible to copy anything from the exported drawing into a new ACAD drawing. Upon pasting, the ACAD command bar shows "_pasteclip", yet there is nothing pasted (or at least, visible).

After reading up on the links you provided it seems inserting the drawing as a block then exploding it fixes the problem.

Any idea what might cause this? I really need to get this figured out before sending our first batch of VW stuff off to engineers.

Cheers for the links!

Update: No problem at all opening and editing the file natively in ACAD 09. Problem only occurs in '02.

Edited by highpass

It sounds like AutoCad is not loading "pasteclip" by default. You might try turning off "demand loading" in Autocad (if you can). Current computers should have more than enough RAM to handle the entire program at once.

The other option is to force "pasteclip" to load by selecting it from the pulldown (or context menu if available, I don't recall if that's part of 2002).

Once you initiate the command it will stay loaded for the session.

If you want to go further, I would recommend the Autocad discussion groups.

Never mind, I see you have a version of AutoCAD to do the check. Here is what we do; export as dwg 2000 / 2000i / 2002, convert classes to layers, invisible classes are exported as invisible layers, map line weights to colors. Everything else is default.

No problems copying and pasting from one AutoCAD file to another. We do this on every job for the engineers etc. In fact we open the drawing in AutoCAD and save it to a new file IN AutoCAD which dramatically reduces the file size.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Brudgers: pasteclip works in all other drawings, yet is temperamental in anything exported from VW. Something goes pear-shaped during export/import.

Mr Krentz: Those are the exact settings i'm using. Oddly enough, certain things can be copied, but 99% not. I'm assuming it's something to do with the class mapping during translation but i've no idea.

Brudgers: pasteclip works in all other drawings, yet is temperamental in anything exported from VW. Something goes pear-shaped during export/import.

Like I said, it looks like a demand loading issue...the syptom is classic.

What triggers it with a nine year old version of AutoCAD is just guess work...Like I said, try invoking it from the command line or from the pulldown if the context doesnt work.

It's definately not a vectorworks issue.

Brudgers: Tried both, no luck. Indeed we tried it in acad arch 09 and it's fine. I'll test the demandload thing, thanks

Brendan: If we insert the exported drawing as a block and explode it, no problems. Or did you mean import the VW file itself? (which I wasn't aware you could do)

Brudgers: Brendan: If we insert the exported drawing as a block and explode it, no problems. Or did you mean import the VW file itself? (which I wasn't aware you could do)

If the "Block" works you might be better off...

What I was doing was "EXPORTING" from VW as a dxf/dwg and then OPENING it in AutoCAd.

Biggest problem was that VW seems to have a lot more geometry to it's drawings than AC.