Not really Spotlight but....

Hello,

I just got a set of mountable LED lights so I can do a little Night Grilling out on the deck. I was just wondering if any of you would know the best choice of color correction to get the LEDS to look a little more like incandescent lighting. Something about the blue in a white LED that make the food, well, look odd. I know this is not a Spotlight Issue, but figured it would be a good place to post a question like this.

Thanks in Advance

Jeff Miller

Swap them out for some incandescent fixtures.

No gel or color correction will help, as the LED source leaves little to correct. This is one of the problems with LED's - poor color rendition index. Lot's of very specific light in very defined wavelengths, but not much across the broader spectrum we are used to with incandescents. The cheaper LED's used in flashlights and Home Depot stuff have the worst CRI.

This is one of the reasons LED's are not popular for any kind of stage lighting or human faces. They work well as back light or as set washes/cyc washes, and as you've discovered, make food look very un-appealing.

Steve B.

What color temp are they? You can get color correction. Depending on how the fixture is built you could color correct a lens if one is there. If they are just basic outdoor lights there probably is a lens and there are different types of dips and such you can use to color them to offset the look of the probably bluish led.

http://www.rosco.com/us/scenic/colorine.asp

Here is a link to a company that makes a product for that while none of the colors are actually color correction you can probably play with it to get it more like what you want.

Matt