Selecting a viewport crop

Hello -

Am having a bad Vectorworks day - can't select what I want, objects and items disappearing when I don't expect them to.

But this one is killing me :

Have a DLVP set up - Edit crop. Can't select the crop (rectangle) for love nor money.

Have tried force select, have all classes visible & on show/snap/modify others - and even the same for layers.

Force select says no object exists at click point - even though holding the mouse over a corner of the crop displays a handle and a "Top right..." etc.

Any ideas before I go and get my old drawing board out of the shed and do things by hand ?

Andrew

The long URLs didn't work for me - not without copying and pasting them into a new browser window.

Thanks for the links Pat (loved the new podcast by the way - listened to it earlier today)

Have read through both links and tried the suggestions but they have not worked.

All classes are visible. Class options set to Show / snap / modify others. All layers visible etc.

All classes and layers visible within the viewport.

Did the following procedure from one of the posts.

1. Make all classes visible

2. Enter VP "Edit Crop" mode

3. invoke 'Select All' command

4. Delete crop object

5. Draw new one

Select all did not select the viewport crop object. Info palette confirms this.

Andrew

PS - are there really only 400,000 users of VW ? Did I hear that correctly ?

Did you set the class visibilities for the viewport so that all classes are visible also? If the crop object is in a class that is not visible in the viewport, it won't be selectable.

It is best to keep the crops in the None class and always leave None visible everywhere.

I think the 400,000 number is probably a little low, but it is in that range.

Thanks Ray - I promise you - every class is visible. In the Navigation palette and within the viewport (by clicking classes in the object info palette when the viewport is selected - before editing the crop)

Is there anywhere else a class can be marked as not visible that I have missed ?

Does the None class have a different behaviour to other classes ??

Thanks,

Andrew

OK,

There is no crop object.

When you create a viewport from a perspective view it takes on the size of the perspective "frame", but does not create a crop object.

I don't know of any way to change the "crop" of a viewport like that.

Go back to the camera view and change the perspective frame and create another viewport. If you have changed many of the settings use the eyedropper tool to pick them up from the old viewport and pour them onto the new one before you delete the original viewport.

As Pat said, there is no crop in the viewport. You can check this by entering crop edit, draw a rectangle, exit crop edit. You will get an error dialog that says "A viewport may only have one crop object".

In your drawing, add a crop object (rectangle, polygon, etc.) in the viewport crop edit and the view will expand.

ahh....

Many thanks Pat - I suddenly feel like a fool.

Have just added a crop object to the viewport and notice that I can resize the view that way too. Making the crop object wider than the existing view increases the perspective.

I'd be interested to know how more experienced VW users go about presenting their drawings. Do you use cameras ? (as I had done with this particular viewport). How do you go about creating viewports of 3d views ? Is it better to set the 3d view how you want it on a sheet layer, then do "view-create viewport" and save that on a design layer ?

I'd love some sample files of 3d drawings - do you know where I can download any ?

Many thanks again - this forum is proving to be a great help.

Andrew

See my comments on the wishlist topic.

If you use a zero width pen for the viewport crop object, then it can be in any class that you know will be on and you can avoid creating a class struggle.

When you go to edit the crop you can use a window or you can use CTL-A to select all, which is just the crop.

• 2 weeks later...
ahh....

I'd be interested to know how more experienced VW users go about presenting their drawings. Do you use cameras ? (as I had done with this particular viewport). How do you go about creating viewports of 3d views ? Is it better to set the 3d view how you want it on a sheet layer, then do "view-create viewport" and save that on a design layer ?

Andrew

I hope you get some answers to this question -- I'll be interested in hearing other's thoughts!

I'm a newbie, but why would you save the sheet view you'd created as a viewport on a design layer (thereby creating a DLVP)? Seems to me you'd either start with a DLVP on a new design layer, adjust the view etc, then create a SLVP from that. Or perhaps just create a SLVP and adjust that directly? I guess I'm missing the subtleties...

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I had a long exchange with VW techs about this.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=102564&page=1

I even sent the file to them and they gave up with it.

Best to turn off the logical problem solving brain and don't spend hours of time on it like i did, its an illogical problem.

Despite what the old hands say I think it is possible to get into a loop that VW can't get out of. I tried everything. Easiest to start again and delete maybe after copying properties across using the eyedropper tool.

In future create the VP on a class (call it VP or use None)in the first place. You'll have no problems.