3D Label Legend

MattG

I do a lot of shows with big stack of lights on back walls. Currently I am doing one where there are par bars on par bars on par bars. The standard label legend just isn't useful for this.

Is there a way or is this more of a wish list thing to have the numbers appear in 3d on a front view some how. That would be awesome. I am currently making a viewport of the front view and just doing text fields with the numbers and when the design changes I have to go through and fix it all twice. Very frustrating.

Matt

Matt

That is a fantastic idea. Consider it stolen.

I haven't tried it, but I think there is a workaround way to accomplish this.... it may be too far around, however... (or too much work)

Will this work?:

1. Create viewport (Sheet Layer) of front view.

2. Create viewport in Top/Plan view. In the VP OIP, turn off all layers except layer with lighting instruments. Turn off all classes except the "Label-" classes.

3. Crop the viewport to show just one Label.

4. Position that VP to sit over the correct location.

5. Duplicate cropped VP. Move crop to show second label. Move VP to correct position.

6. Rinse. Repeat.

It's about 20 minutes of set up, BUT it will update. The question is will the labels in their plan layout work well enough plopped into a front view.

I encourage you to add this to the wish list. If a 3D dimension solutions comes in VW2010, maybe this functionality could piggy back along with it. (...he said, totally ignorant of the programming involved...)

michaelk

Yeah I have found myself sometimes doing something similar. I never did it with the Fixture labels but it sounds like a good place to start.

I just found something out the other day which was really interesting. I am trying to standardize my files and use a thought out class structure. I hate that the label legend classes show up the way they do because it doesn't fit well. If I make a label legend I like then edit the class name it still works in all the ways prior to that.

I just think that is awesome.

Matt