Wishes

Ozzie

Question

My wishes

When you double click on a Viewport the dialogue allows you to tick Add Reference Crop Object ? problem is unless you go back and un tick it every time you double click the Viewport again to edit the Design Layer you get another one ? by default the tick for Add Reference Crop should turn off

And - the Reference Crop Object be it a Rectangle, Poly, Circle whatever - when you select it in the Design Layer it should be a Reference Crop Object - Rectangle, Poly, Circle whatever rather than Polyline Rectangle or Circle or whatever ? also would like - upon creation there was an option to Class it

We need not only Activate Class or Activate Layer ? we also need Activate Class and Layer

VWs needs a totally rebuilt text tool

When creating a new Class in the Navigation Pallet dialogue with Edit Class after Creation Ticked we should be able to Activate that Class rather than having to go back select the Class and then Activate it

I use the same Viewport often on many different Sheet Layers typically for Legends ? they are all the same ? recently someone said to me ? we need to include this and I did so but had to resize the Crop for 11 identical Viewports on 11 Sheet layers ? idea ? an option for identical repeated Viewports to be able to be the same Viewport and if the Crop on one was changed all would change ? something like a Master or Dynamic Viewport ? I think it would be really useful

Big improvements to Worksheets gaining this and more advanced functionality

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121895#Post121895

The ability to call in mathematical and other functions criteria to populate cells and store formulas for repeated use

The DTM ? great tool but now past its use by date ? I can use it well now - pads, fences, texture beds etc but it is painstaking ? adjacent pads that can grab their neighbours heights, Texture Beds with a drop down list of available Classes rather than copy and paste ? a big rebuild ? I do not know if it is possible but pads with more than one fall direction ? lots and lots of things

Whilst on about the DTM ? much better Road Tool ? Vectorworks needs to become much better as a civil tool and perhaps NNA should incorporate Charles? Land Planning Tool

The Plant Tool has had a great rebuild into 2009 and I commend NNA for what they have achieved ? we still need though when selecting a Plant within VW from the drop down menu a scroll bar on the drop down list including letter entry to say gain the ?Hs? or ?Rs? whatever plant you are looking for ? I have 300 plus Plants and it takes yonks to get to ?W?.

The Drop Down List ? when you place your first plant into a drawing you get the Plant Symbol Dialogue but only for the first plant so an option to display the ?list? or symbol version

An ability to set a default Spacing for plants that is used by the Landscape Area Tool? example ? when using the Landscape Area tool you work away ? on large projects I will use it for 100% plants in one Landscape area ? problem is when I use say - LoLoTa did I have 5 per square metre or 6 ? I usually write that on a piece of paper ? the per square metre rate needs to be included when defining a Plant in the Plant Definition as typically a certain variety of Plant will have a standard rate per square metre

The Plant Tool also requires a Plant Symbol geometry building tool with a lot of base symbols that can be chosen from like ?outlines?, ?interior lines?, closed poly shapes for leaves and or blooms that can be scaled etc to define the plant

The Plant Tool ? vastly improved from previous versions but still just a needs a little more tweaking

Okies we can close a Polygon with a tick and I know you can close a Polyline too with Hide or Show Edges Mode but why do two similar objects have such different ways of doing something so similar

I use a Title Block on Sheet Layers where I have colours I can turn off and on and I know the protocol is everything on a Sheet Layer MUST be in None Class but today I ran into an issue.

I had a Quantities Worksheets on several Sheet Layers I wanted to show for the client but not the contractor so export to Pdf two sheet sets ? my work around has been to set up Classes - A-TitleBlockGraphics and A-SL(SheetLayer)Worksheets just so I can remember to keep them turned on all of the time or control them as required ? that works although some may shudder ? how do others deal with this?

Multiple drawings open ? either a shortcut that displays them in a drop down ?select box? on screen or as part of the GUI ? I know you can move through them with Ctrl/Tab

Keyboard shortcut to go backwards through Mode Bar

Saved Views ? If you have several Saved Views ? and wish to go back to one ? you either have to type its name or go Edit and then Select It ? the saved view list in the first dialogue should be a drop down selectable list

Rebuild of Hardscape Tool - it is a powerful tool but it needs so much more ? one would expect this would be in the melting pot

Much better general file and drawing organisation abilities where Classes and layers can be shared between drawings more intuitively and stored as in Standards but more accessible to import, export, share etc ? I think Charles has something like this but I have not really had time to look at it yet

Looking forward to VW 2010 and beyond wondering what in fact we will be implemented

One would think real improvements will be gained in VWA and parasolids should provide better 3D modelling capabilities. There are a few areas of VW where GUI and user interface experiences can do with a good tidy up.

Faster computers, 64 bit etc, Renderworks improvements, multi core processors, Render Farm abilities.

VW2009 in my experience has been solid with fewer glitches for me at least than previous versions ? I have still found some bugs ? that though is software

FWIW that is my bit for the moment

OH and one final thing - a certain person to just STFU about ArchiCAD just for a week maybe - even just a day

Edited by Ozzie

1 answer to this question

Much better general file and drawing organisation abilities where Classes and layers can be shared between drawings more intuitively and stored as in Standards but more accessible to import, export, share etc ? I think Charles has something like this but I have not really had time to look at it yet

In addition to this and related to this thread, http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=122325#Post122325

it would be great to be able to save different class line-type/color/visibility setups/overrides within a single file.

Which then preferably can be applied to any DLVP/SLVP in that file.

Edited by Vincent C