How many VW users work on a tablet?

Hi all,

I was wondering how many users work on tablets for VW? Also has anyone had any experience with the Wacom Intuos 4?

I would like to get away from a mouse if I could. I am the point where I am starting to feel it is stifling my creativity. I will be using it for VW, and also for Adobe CS, Final Cut Studio, and (in the not too distant future, I hope) Cinema 4D. I have also been looking at the 3D Space Navigator, but the more I think about it, the Wacom tablet might be a better investment of return for usability, general RSI prevention, and a more natural or pen-like input (Due to the amount of time I spend on a computer, I have found that some days I have almost forgotten how to write the old way - i.e. a pen and paper. I really have to think about how to write...scary!).

How does one get around the double clicking on the tablet? With a tablet pen, it seems that it would be even worse for RSI if there wasn't a button that would do a double click, with a single click action. Or is there a way of setting the pen sensitivity to do this?

Is the 3D Space Navigator more of a gimmick for VW? I imagine it would be very useful with Cinema 4D, but maybe not all of the other apps I use.

And the most important question, does the Wacom tablet play nice with VW?

Thank you in advance.

I use an A5 Wacom tablet - its quite old now but beautifully smooth but the stylus is no replacement for a mouse. Even something as trivial as putting the stylus down on a desk and having to find it becomes an issue. Another problem is with a normal pen, the orientation of the barrel is not normally an issue, but it is with a stylus. But I am sure you would get use to these types of things.

I have also written application drivers for the Wacom A3 oversized (ie square 'A3') using a puck. During this time, I would occasionally use it as my mouse, but always reverted to the standard mouse - force of habit I guess. Our application was not graphics based, so I never used it for drawing just data entry so cannot comment on the drawing abilities of having a larger active zone. However A3 oversized was pretty much a perfect size, but it does take up deskspace.

If I had the spare cash, I would get a Wacom A3 oversize with puck and stylus, but I do not do enough painting to justify it and mouse is no issue for me.

One of the things that I have found is that I switch between absolute mode and relative (mouse) mode although this is probably due absolute not being particularly useful when used with a small A5 size tablet. Most of the time with A5 its in relative/mouse mode and I only use it on an occasional basis when 'painting' when the pressure sensitive stylus beats the mouse hands down.

Another thing to watch is that there are/were issues/conflicts between (some?) HP printers and the Microsoft tablet software that is enabled by default when a tablet is plugged in. Not sure if this has been resolved but it looked to be a lot of finger pointing going on at the HP end and last I heard they were not accepting responsibility. I get around it by not keeping my tablet plugged in but have not checked on the state of the problem in the last year or so and there have been a few driver updates since then.

Started using pen&tablet sometime in the late '80's when Macs came with the ADB Port. That set-up was incredible and lasted until OSX. Now I use the Intuio & cordless mouse for everything and the pen with Photoshop occasionally.

The trick is setting-up the appropriate speeds ... then cleaning and siliconizing the tablet every so often.

Thanks for the feedback. Islandmon, I had read some of your posts previously. I was thinking that you were not using the old-school variety of tablet, but actually using the pen the whole time. It sounds like the pen may just have to be used with graphics and 3D apps.

I tend to skip around the screen at a hectic pace, using the C, V and Spacebar constantly. I suspect with a pen/tablet I wouldn't be able to keep up with my left hand.

Thank you once again for the feedback, I look forward to hearing from others about their CAD hardware input workflow.

I've tried on several occasions to quit using a mouse completely and use only a tablet, I've used both Wacom A6 and A5 sized tablets, and except for 2 things it was great!

Unfortunately these 2 things are so important i usually end up going back to a mouse:

The first is the scroll function on the mouse which i use all the time for zooming/panning all over the screen at a hectic pace, as you put it. I haven't found a pen with a scroll wheel yet or another adequate solution for this. Using a keyboard/tablet button shortcut takes up too much time for my otherwise already very occupied left hand...

The other is that when drafting the actual click on the right place is crucial, problem with a tablet is that you basically move the pen in the air over the tablet without touching it, when you set down the pen it simulates a left click. However it's just this action where i find there is a too large margin for error.....ie it's to easy to miss the actual point you're trying to click to. Perhaps this is merely a question of training, but i have at least never mastered it :( (a solution could be to disable this click function and use the buttons on the pen however for me it takes away too much of the intended functionality).

Edited by Vincent C
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to pick up on an old thread, but...

I've just recently started experimenting with a tablet. (A little Wacom Bamboo - good size for traveling.)

So for I'm enjoying it.

Can any tablet users explain the purpose of the Tablet setting under Tools? Do any tablet users use that setting?

F3 has me puzzled. Is it possible to move the grey box defining the tablet? It seems jumpy when I turn it on...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

michaelk

Has anyone tried the Logitech 3DConnexion Space Navigator? I saw an announcement about it being compatible with VW some time ago, and I recently got one. However it doesn't seem to do what I wanted it for (rotating, panning, zooming) in 3d. The control panel for it doesn't seem to offer many settings.

Any suggestions from anyone?

I bought my Intuos 4 medium primarily for Photoshop work - where it excels - never go back to a mouse here. I actually bought the Bamboo first and found it to be a great little device.

I use the Intuos in VW - and really like the Flyover control it offers - Double clicking is a breeze with a couple of taps - using the boomerang feature of VW I rarely need to scroll through the drawing area and rarely in a palette . The scrollwheel works here but I find it easier to use the scrollbar in the palette if needed.

The scollwheel also zooms but I prefer to use keyborard shortcuts or marquee zooming for this however using the Snaploupe alot of the zooming is eliminated.

In Safari I would usually use the supplied cordless mouse.

I am disappointed that I still have to take advantage of the express-keys which were a big part of me buying the medium over the small. I find them too clicky - and the keyborard shortcuts within applications generally give me much of the control I need.