2d and 3d layers

I do most of my drawing in 2-D. Every so often a layer will somehow get converted to 3-D. I am not sure how this happens, perhaps I import some data with a 3-D component. It does make my drawing extra convoluted because if a 3-D layer is active, I cannot modify objects on a 2-D layer. Is there a way to convert a 3-D layer to 2-D?

I am on a Mac, using VW2008.

Thanks tons,

Phillip

laphil, what you are seeing is probably Top View rather than Top/Plan View. Easily triggered if you accidentaly use the 3D Selection tool rather than the 2D Selection tool - as soon as you click on the drawing the 'View' (projection) switches from Top/Plan to Top.

Top/Plan view can be restored by:

- selecting that Projection from the View menu.

- selecting it from the View pop up on the View Bar.

- via the zero key on the numeric keypad.

- via the key shortcut combination of Command (Apple) + 5.

Yes, Mike's clues are life savers! The amount of times I have know people to be an inch from throwing the computer out the window, until a little 'Command 5' fixed the problem, and the angst.

Also in the layers pull down menu, when turned on, there is an icon next to the layer name. This icon changes for when in a 3D view. You can see what layers are in 'Top/Plan' view versus simply 'Top' or another 3D view.

To change it back you need to go to that layer and switch back to 'Top/Plan' view (or you can click the 'Stack Layers' button, switch 'Top/Plan' view to change all of the layers that are on, back to 'Top/Plan' view. Just remember to un-click the 'Stack Layers' buttons because that can cause problems of its own).