Stack layers, layer links etc

Keith W

OK Pat thanks, one more question while were at it :).

I've created a layer with several DLVPs with a 'certain' class visibility combination, when i then create an SLVP of this layer the class visibility of the DLVPs seem to take on that of the SLVP, is there a way around this, is it possible for the DLVPs to somehow retain their original class visibility combination, not connected to that of the SLVP? Are you with me?

After I'm done spinning my model around, I usually go back to Top/Plan view, then select "Align Layer Views" from the View menu, so that all the layers go back to their "flat" state and I can continue working without some surprises (try not doing this and see what happens).

So, you see they are two different functions. Viewports, nee layer links, are for "aliasing" sections of a project. Stacking layers is a model visualization function.

HTH.

Under "Stack Layer Options" you can set "Restore Original Views after Unstacking" and you should not need to align layer views.

Dan J.

You can do all the same with Design Layer Viewports if you create one per floor, give each a name and in the future you can do all that you describe.

If you want to see what the exterior looks like with Brick instead of siding you can apply a class override to that Design Layer Viewport and it is done, with Layer Links you have to effect the whole file setup.

If you like you could copy the Grouping of Design Layer Viewports for the floors and look at various exterior material and color studies. Not so with Layer Links.

When Creating the Sheet Layer Viewport you can click on the toggle at the lower left of the "Viewport Class Properties" to "Retain Design Layer Viewport Class Overrides" and this should hold the settings for the Design Layer Viewport Settings.

Make sure you have SP3

When I tried this in SP2 today, it kept the overrides, but did not keep the class selection. The DLVP in the SLVP had its classes controlled by the SLVP class settings. The only way I found around that is to use referenced DLVPs.

Can you test and see if SP3 changes the behavior?

Wow, what a great thread this has become!

I'm a bit confused: Vincent was asking about creating two DLVPs with different views on the same design layer. It sounds like that is impossible?

However (just to state the obvious), I could create the DLVPs on different design layers, and then insert SLVP's of each on a single sheet, for the purpose of printed output...

keith

As stated above, the DLVP takes on the scale, view and render mode of the design layer it is inserted on. No way to change any of these items for different objects on that layer.

Yes, you can create DLVPs on multiple layers. You can then create a single SLVP that shows all of those layers, or multiple SLVP that could each show a single layer with a DLVP on it, or any combination in between.

Pat

SP3 is the same as SP2 in this regard.

This is works as designed, if the Design Layer Viewport is created from Design Layers and Classes within the file then Class control is class control for all object types where ever one might change them.

In the Referenced variant you can also get this same lack of control depending on the toggle selected but for most the Design Layer Viewport from a referenced file will hold its class setting configuration, even in the Sheet Layer Viewport.

The Design Layer Viewport Object is really two different things either internally Linked like a managed layer link or externally linked to objects, layers, and classes in another file.

The help system does not describe this well and could be cause for much confusion.

Once understood by the user a system needs to be developed for where content is created and the use of Design Layer Viewports in relation to Sheet Layer Viewports.

Why would you want to do this? Seems like your setting yourself up for major management issues.

Design Layer Viewports with Vectorworks should always be on their own Layer, named as such so that when you reference that file to another you do not use the Design Layer Viewport or its layer as you end with no visual control of the DLVP object in the other file.

What is the issue with creating more layers that are defined for the purpose of the objects on that Layer? One should be naming all DLVP and SLVP and most other objects if you ever want to manage this information effectively.

With Microstation this type of referencing though possible was considered a bug and if used at all should be used in a 2d only workflow.

It is quite easy to create another Layer you know.

Well, for example, if you want to use part of your layer as a trace for another part of the same layer (I usually set up my model with a story per layer)......80% of the time i use DLVPs as trace references.

With this in mind it is desirable to be able to have the largest flexibility (visually and edit-ably) possible for DLVP/SLVPs.

What i remember from the days i used Bentley was that we were advised to not only create layers for every story but even to divide different parts of the story to different layers, i think using references for this kind of setup is probably equally hard to keep track of as dividing everything up in to DLVPs, then again nobody said it was going to be easy :) ....

Edited by Vincent C
  • 1 month later...