Network Dongle and License Manager running on Mac OS X

sth

Question

It appears that the license manager and the dongle will run on Mac OS X Server Leopard (10.5). It takes a bit of making sure that the USB dongle is recognized and the correct boot startup items are running.

It would be great if the HASP License Manage was recompiled to have a fat binary with both Intel and PPC versions instead of running in emulation mode. The latest versions of aksusbd and hasplm need to be used.

There were a few tricks and I can post the scheme if anyone is interested.

One thing to note is that the TCP communication is broken. It defaults back to UDP in every case. Specifying UDP originally can save 10 seconds on startup!

Aladdin needs to get their act together and update there software to correct a few annoying things. VW need to fix their web site links so that the dongle ID checker software is downloadable instead of just hanging during the download.

1 answer to this question

Hello --

I was hoping you wouldn't mind posting your method for getting a VectorWorks network dongle running reliably on Mac OS X Server 10.5.

I noticed in this Nemetschek knowledge base article...

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/737/Aladdin+HASP+License+Manager+(HaspLM)

...that the Hasp License Manager is "incompatible" with Mac OS X Server 10.5. It seems to work great for weeks, even months, before failing and then removing and reinserting the dongle seems to fix it.

Any insights you can share would be appreciated.

-- Steve