I have Vectorworks Architect/ Renderworks 2008 for Windows and it keeps crashing and I can not get it to stop. Just make one small change, do a save and it crashes. Same file opens up on another pc with another licence of VW, changes can be made and saved without crashing. I assume there is a problem with the software rather than a bug in the file.

What are the basis checks I should be doing?

Would appreciate some help ASAP.

Long time since I have been on the board hope you have missed me!

Other possible causes:

Quicktime...you can't reliably upgrade it past the version that ships with Vectorworks. Yes, it's a security risk. Yes, quicktime will keep trying to get you to update.

Video Drivers...I experienced problems with the manufacturer's latest video driver on my Dell Precicion Workstation. I recommend downloading the latest drivers from Dell rather than the chip manufacturer.

Restart the computer

Defragment the disk.

Run Scandisk to check for errors.

Edited by brudgers

I would imagine if it was Video Drivers or quicktime, You wouldn't even be able to open or edit a document.

Sounds like it could be disk write access issues (access rights/security)

Have you tried logging on to another user or admin and trying to save a VW file?

Also, what brudgers said. Run CHKDSK /F on the volume where VW is located.

Ray

Thanks for your help, especially over this easter break.

And you have just remined me of the last 2 points on your check list.

I updated the driver from the dell web site.

I have just created a new user account and it seems to have worked on that account - the files can be read and appear in the right graphic symbol. I can save new files and open and save existing files in this new user account. So this must be the problem - but I do not know how to correct it?

I have not uninstalled Quicktime but it was working before with the version installed - no harm in giving it a go I suppose but it seems the problem lays with the user accounts / access issue, but that has not changed either!?

All a bit of a mystery to me and getting beyond my capabilities....I will have a bit of easter egg and try something else.

Another thing vw 2008 does is ask if you want to do up date all your files to be compatible with this version of vw. Now that it is not unusual - normally happens, I think, when installing a new version of vw - but this is a re installation and most of my files are in the version 2008 - so why is it asking me this? And it is not as me this on the new user account!?

I have said no as I prefer to update each file when I open it and especially not until I have sorted this problem out.

I think I will leave quicktime alone for a while because I do not think that is the problem, especially as the new user account seems to be working.

• 2 weeks later...