Modelling architraves

Islandmon,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've got stuck before even getting that far. I've created a 3-D poly (a straight line) snapped to the edges of the door opening, seen here:

architrave2.jpg

which will become the path along which I will extrude the profile. I want to then drag this line up to meet the top of the (sloping) wall, but it doesn't want to snap to the top of the wall.

I really want to work in a section view, rather than 3d, to create the paths for the profile, but the only section view I can see is to create a viewport. Any suggestions (if any of this makes any sense, that is!)

Graham

Do you really need to model the cut? If you make the two pieces have the same profile, and you run the cross piece to the center of the vertical, the resulting render will show like the 45 degree cut you are looking for.

This won't work if you need to use Hidden Line renders.

One possibility for working in section for something like this is to create a Section viewport and create either the entire molding or at least the correct 2D construction lines you need in the Annotations. You can then copy and paste those objects back to the design layer and move them to where you need them to be in the model.

Thanks Ray, much appreciated!

If anyone can solve my problem with snapping to the top of the wall to extend the path for the extrusion that would be great. I'll try Pat's suggestion of working in a viewport, but I find it odd that working directly in 3d the top of the wall isn't a snappable object, but maybe I'm not understanding something...

Cheers,

Graham

If anyone can solve my problem with snapping to the top of the wall...I find it odd that working directly in 3d the top of the wall isn't a snappable object

Easiest method that I've found is to first group the wall (if the drawing is complex or busy), enter the group, switch to an elevation view of the wall, and then draw a construction line along the top of the wall, snapping to two adjacent wall peaks or wall ends. You can then snap to the constuction line.

When you are done, delete the construction line, exit the group, ungroup (and verify that grouping hasn't messed up your object stacking/visiblity).

I don't think it is a problem with the walls, but rather with the path object. When you create an Extrude Along Path, it converts both the path and the profile to NURBS. Nurbs are 3D object and 3D objects have substantially less snapping ability in VW2009 than 2D objects. Currently VW really only snaps to points in 3D, not to edges. This should greatly improve in future versions.

If you don't need to do curves, then you don't really need the extrude along path. A piece of molding can be made as a simple extrude. With an extrude, you can use the 2D selection tool and just drag it up or down to change the length. You can get an extension line from a corner point on the wall, but it will be difficult to get a point on the edge of the wall.

As a work around, draw a 2D construction line from the corner points on the wall and snap to them.

I'll go through it step by step: first i drew a wall, pulled down one side of it to make it sloping, then i drew a line, using the 3d polygon, tool from one top corner of the wall to the other, next i drew line (3d polygon) from the middle of the bottom of the wall vertical to just under the top of the wall, then i used the connect combine tool.

To get the snap for the middle of the wall bottom you need to 'activate' the corner snap points first, a middle point is then automatically created....

All this done in left isometric view and with the smart points constraint active (the smart edges constraint wasn't the one, sorry)

Edited by Vincent Cuclair

Bye the way when i first tried it, it didn't work, it was because the lines didn't lie exactly over each other and the vertical line wasn't vertical, it only looked like it in the isometric view, when i spun it around i saw the mistake, in the next attempt i activated the constrain perp constraint to draw the vertical line. then all went well....