Printing the reference grid

I am having problems getting the reference grid to print. I have set the grid to print in the options box but it fails to do so. I exported the drawing as a pdf and as a jpeg and the light blue lines do not appear. I thought it might be that they are too 'thin' but they should at least appear on a pdf. So I will have to create a grid from lines on a separate layer as a work around but it would be good to solve the problem - any ideas would be welcome. I have tried with both my inkjet printers but they are both the same. I dont remember having this problem in 11.5

I just tried it here with VW2008 printing to a laser printer. It worked fine, but the lines are extremely thin and light gray.

Are you certain the grid lines are displaying when you print? Zoom to 100% scale and see if you see the grid lines. They hide if they are to close together to be useful. If that is the case at 100% zoom then that might explain why they are not printing.

Nope, I just tried that and just get a grayer background.

I tried a PDF both with Black and White only on and off and still got the grid in every case.

I don't know what is going on.

Do you have a rendering in the drawing? VW renders to infinity, so the grid lines could be behind the rendering and not show?

Hi, thanks for your help.

I had checked the zoom for the grid to ensure that it was 'active' at 100%. It is. With the inkjet printers I use I expect that the lines might be too thin to print effectively but the water is muddied by the pdf export not showing the grid either which has nothing to do with the printers. I attach a screenshot showing the settings - I have a fairly large grid so it is not too small. I am at a loss to see why. I created a grid with thin lines at .05mm and set to 25% grey and they are very feint when printed but are printed nonetheless. So I can get round the problem but shouldn't have to!

Grangeian, make your own grid using the Rectangular Grid tool from the Annotation tool set:

- Set the pen size and colour to what prints okay for your printer (use the same line weights for the major and minor lines).

- Give it a unique Class so you can switch its visibility as required.

- Place it on the Layer, send it to the back and lock it in place.

Check and see if this is file specific or occurs in every file.

Create a new file and set the grid so it is visible. Make sure Print Grid is on and print to a PDF. Does the grid show up?

If so, then there is a problem with your other file. Create a new layer in that file and set Layer Options to Active Only. Set the grid and print to PDF. Does the grid show?

Just some options.

I tried printing in color to a B/W laserjet and the lines came out extremely light.

Then I changed the document to B/W only and printed. The lines came out a little darker this time (still light though). They might be visible on an Inkjet printer this way.

(document settings > document preferences)

For you windows people. Can you check if you have GDI+ on in the Vectorworks Preferences? Does this make a difference in printing the grid? What about Anti-Aliasing?

Vectorworks Preferences:Display pane near the bottom.

There is no GDI+ option in my version, VW 12.5. Anti-Aliasing doesn't change the output for the grid lines either.

I tried to do this one time too but ending up just drawing my own lines. :grin: