Decorative cornice

We are designing new townhouses in an older neighborhood, and the Planning Board wants us to utilize a decorative cornice at the front elevation in lieu of the decorative brick we proposed to better match existing buildings.

I cannot find this resource, and i need to re-submit revised drawings ASAP.

Robert, I would suggest using Extrude Along Path for these types of objects. It is quite simple: In Top/Plan View, 1) Draw the profile (section) of the cornice; 2) Draw the Path that the cornice will follow (ie: trace around the building with the polygon or polyline tool); 3) Select both objects; 4) Invoke the Extrude Along Path command; 5) When the Choose a Path dialog comes up, make sure to choose the path (not the profile), then click OK; 6) Look at the resulting Extrude Along Path object and notice that it is CENTERED on the path you drew, rather than at the edge (as intended); 7) Double Click the Extrude Along Path, and choose the "Edit Profile". Once in the edit space you will see a horizontal and vertical line, and you will see that the profile is centered at their intersection. Simply move the profile object so that it is at the edge of the vertical line (note: the direction of the path will affect the left/right orientation of the profile -- you might need to filp the profile, or move it to the other side of the line. You can re-edit as many times as needed!); 8) Check again, in both 2d and 3d views, that the Extrude Along Path is properly positioned (you will almost always need to move it up, while in front view) because these object are always created along the ground plane (z=0) of the active layer. Hope that makes sense, and hope it helps! P

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's an example of a cornice (or actually crown molding) that was made using Peter's technique. The rendering could have been a little higher quality but hey, it gets the point across.

Works really well

Edited by Wes Gardner

You can use lines and arcs as Ray suggests, or I often start with a rectangle and then CLIP from or ADD to it (in 2d using Clip/Add Surface) with circles, ovals, other rectangles, etc. to get the 2d shape I need. If for example I want a 4" x 4" cornice piece, drawing the 4 x 4 rectangle (square) first helps me to visualize the scale of things and to keep the shape contained within that space. HTH's.