Partial roofs

If I want to create a roof over part of a floor (for example a building that has a smaller second floor, or a porch or something), and there is therefor NOT a closed set of walls... I think I can:

1) create a polygon where I want the roof, and then "create roof" there and adjust, or

2) create a polygon and use it to create a "roof face".

Are there other and/or better options?

Those are the recommended methods. Also FWIW, if you ungroup a ROOF you will end up with a bunch of ROOF FACES. Sometimes this can be very useful.

Little Known VW's Fact: The "bearing height" of a ROOF FACE is along the SLOPE DIRECTION LINE that you draw during the creation process. So therefore here is good little trick: create the the roof face from a polygon which DOES NOT include the eave overhang. During the creation process draw the SLOPE DIRECTION LINE exactly along the edge (outside edge of wall or beam line). Set the bearing height to top of wall, or top of beam. Then after creation add the overhang(s) by drawing another poly and the ADD SURFACE to the roof face. Voila!

For more detailed/realistic models you can also use RAFTERS (either from the detailing tool set, or home-made extrudes) and then use a ROOF FACE as the sheathing/roofing. This is great for showing rafter tails and also great because when you cut a section through it, nearly everything is already there ;-)

here is good little trick: create the the roof face from a polygon which DOES NOT include the eave overhang. During the creation process draw the SLOPE DIRECTION LINE exactly along the edge (outside edge of wall or beam line). Set the bearing height to top of wall, or top of beam. Then after creation add the overhang(s) by drawing another poly and the ADD SURFACE to the roof face.

Ugh, sounds like extra work to me!

Draw the 2d poly of the whole roof face, and with the walls or bearing objects visible below, use them to create/snap your bearing line.