path extrude-maybe, but probably not

I have about had it with this path extrude command, which doesn't work except for when it does, and gives me some nonsense error message about 'failure due to invalid profile or path objects'. An octagonal path and a rectangle object are invalid?? Two rectangles are invalid?? Two rectangles converted to NURBS are invalid?

Is there somewhere I can submit a file to for someone to be able to explain this to dumb old me?

VW/RW9, G4/450 dual, 300Mb of 1G assigned to VW, OS 9.0.4

Haven't tried the new VW 9 extrude along path tool, so I was interested in this comment. I have used AutoCAD's, and the kind of problem you are experiencing happens in AutoCAD when the cross-section being extruded "doubles back" on itself geometrically when passing through a curve that is too tight. When you experience the error, try extruding the same shape along a much gentler curvature or angle. If it works in that case, then most likely your problem is that the path contains "kinks" that the extrusion algorithm can't resolve.

That Extrude along Path command makes my PC crash! I love the idea of this feature but dont try to render anything that contains an object created this way. VW 9 is real buggy especially about the illegal objects to use as a path. A real pain in the butt!

OS Name Microsoft Windows Me

Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000

System Model Dimension 8100

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1500MHz GenuineIntel ~1495 Mhz

BIOS Version Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

Locale United States

Total Physical Memory 383.04 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.51 GB

Page File Space 1.63 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Several bugs like this should be fixed in the forthcoming 9.0.1.

You can always submit bug reports and files to bugsumbit@nemetschek.net.

It is a million times easier to fix bugs when we have a file that easily reproduces the problem.