Will it Print or Will it not Print Today? That is the question!!

This the perplexing question of the day. Will my work print correctly on my HP Color LaserJet 8550 or will there be randomly missing lines, letters, arrows, and/ or dimension leaders. Today I have a project involving raster images, so my problem is not solved by printing to pdf since the images change to Black and White. So I redraw some of the missing lines to see if they will show up. They do!!! But now others which were previously visible have mysteriously disappeared so now what? Does anyone have a clue? Tech folks? Can you help. I have a job to do and the my excuses are getting old. I am running Win 98 if it matters. Using VW Version 8.5.2.and judging from these message boards VW 9.0 is not a solution. Responses greatly appreciated!

Printing from Vectorworks 9.0 : The print has missing lines / prints only text or even nothing at all. The problem does not exist when printing a version 8.5 drawing. We have tried this on all of of printers (Epson inkjets/ Design Jet (using Microspot software drivers) and a HP Laserjet.) The problem persists on all machines. We have even tried to export the V 9 file back to 8.5 and try to print but whatever has caused the problem in 9 gets exported too. Please find a file which we have tried to print but has had the problems mentioned above.

Vectorworks 9.0 is really slow! The reaction times of the tools are not as fast as 8.5 which is irritating. Even on our latest G4 machines. The problem is worse on Power mac 604e machines.

We get messages that serial numbers are in use when they are not. Are we supposed to put all the serial numbers into the software so that it picks on which isn?t being used?

On my machine I have found that the prefences have been lost after they have been previously set eg: the line weights changed back from mm to default Mls, the use sound option turned itself back on, eight handle selection turned off etc....seems to revert back to defaults.

This is all a really big headache. We are unable to print some documents which some people have spent a week working on- the work is trapped and cannot be printed out.

So far Version 9 is a really big disappointment. We can only hope that these problems will be addressed in the update.

Please (techs) can you get this looked into really quickly. This is costing us money.

Andrew Treverton

quote:

Originally posted by B Perry:

This the perplexing question of the day. Will my work print correctly on my HP Color LaserJet 8550 or will there be randomly missing lines, letters, arrows, and/ or dimension leaders. Today I have a project involving raster images, so my problem is not solved by printing to pdf since the images change to Black and White. So I redraw some of the missing lines to see if they will show up. They do!!! But now others which were previously visible have mysteriously disappeared so now what? Does anyone have a clue? Tech folks? Can you help. I have a job to do and the my excuses are getting old. I am running Win 98 if it matters. Using VW Version 8.5.2.and judging from these message boards VW 9.0 is not a solution. Responses greatly appreciated!

When I first began using VW9 I was having some crazy printing errors. A couple things have helped: 1) If you have older documents, do not open them in 9 (at least until NNA fixes the translator). 2) If you are in 9, try one, or more, of the four new options found in the VW Printing Options dialog. I am now working on a 9 file, which I started in 9, and everything seems to be outputting fine. Hope this helps- MAC G4/450/D HP DJ230

When I try to print tabloid size drawings that have been convert from VW8.5, on my HP 455CA, only 2/3 of the image prints, then the computer freezes & eventually the HP RIP crashes. If I open the original (nonconverted) dwg from within VW 8.5, it prints perfectly.

I have the page/print area set to "one page", and the file/page set up to "Arch B". I am printing in the landscape orientation, and it stops at about 11" of the 17" printed.

Finally I copied and pasted each layer on a fresh VW9 document, and it printed successfully.

[This message has been edited by benjarch (edited 06-13-2001).]

• 4 months later...

Printing a VW8 dwg in VW9 was creating PostScript errors. Today.

Yesterday wasn't a problem. It seems to be related to a non-standard workspace. Switching back to standard fixed the problem. Swapping workspace filenames doesn't work so I think it's one or more tools/options that I've changed, that creates the error, or at least some of the error's occurrences. A preliminary trial with 9.5.0b5 appears to have fixed this.

Yes, this is actually bug in VectorWorks. Printing in a non-Standard workspace can cause postscript errors with some printers.

This was more of a butterfly flaps it's wings in New York and there is tidal wave in Tokyo sort of problem. However, it should be fixed in 9.5.

Please note, this is a seperate problem than what was being discussed previously in this topic. The other problems reported here were 9.0.0 related and should be fixed in 9.0.1.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
Printing a VW8 dwg in VW9 was creating PostScript errors. Today.Yesterday wasn't a problem. It seems to be related to a non-standard workspace. Switching back to standard fixed the problem. Swapping workspace filenames doesn't work so I think it's one or more tools/options that I've changed, that creates the error, or at least some of the error's occurrences. A preliminary trial with 9.5.0b5 appears to have fixed this.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Matthew Giampapa ]