Property Lines

I'm using a hardcopy survey drawing with meets and bounds to layout a site plan. Using the Property Line Tool, I have tried both clockwise and counterclockwise directions to setup the property. What happens is when adding a segment, instead of going in the direction it should be going it goes the opposite. Are the surveyors meets and bounds incorrect or do I have to make an adjustment in my input.

THanks for any suggestions!

Guest Frank Brault

Sometimes it's simpler to draft the property line as needed with the polygon or polyline tool or with line segments and arcs; then Modify->Compose if using separate objects to create a single closed poly based object. With the single figure selected run the Modify->Convert->Objects from Polyline command and choose Property Line from the popup in the dialog that appears. This will produce an annotated Property Line object that you can check against the survey document.

hth,

Thanks,

I have used the polyline tool before and worked fine. I was trying something "by the book". What I discovered was I had to change the surveyors meets and bounds for some of the segments ie: if the survey showed N 59 23 00 E, I would change to read S 59 23 00 W. It would then correctly draw that segment. What I'm unsure of is if the surveyor had this incorrectly noted or if it's something in the program.

It's not incorrect either way, it's just a result of which direction the Surveyor sites along a boundary.

Another little trick is to stick with the survey bearing and just enter the boundary distance as a negative value.

Frank, a useful addition to the property line tool would be the ability to choose the unit value that the property line displays from the PIO. At the moment you have to change the Units of the drawing to have it report in meters while the rest of the drawing may need to be in millimeters.

You will need to be especially careful when 'reversing' bearing by adding 180?.

A NorthbyEast bearing is coordinate specific and should not be reversed.

Refer to your VW manual for the correction adjustments for the VW coordinate system.

Survey Bearings

The acute angle between the Meridian and a line measured from North to South, toward East and West gives a reading of less than 90?.

The surveyor should draw a direction arrow on each bearing or better yet, go either CW or CCW, not both if possible. By the way, the property tool itself needs a small modification. The bearing and distance are on the wrong sides of the property line. The bearing should be on the outside of the property line with the distance on the inside. It requires ungrouping the property entity to correct this oversight. Also, it's a good idea to use symbols for survey markers, if you need to edit any of them graphically, all the others will update as symbols do.

Guest Frank Brault
...the ability to choose the unit value...

Reese,

I'll pass on the info about the units display and distance/bearing reversal to our engineers. The one reference book that I checked agrees with the Property Line tool, though. Is there a standard that we can observe?

Little known tip: You can use any units that you want in the distance field as you build the object; just add M or ' the There are also a couple of shortcut bearing notations as well. I think you can use spaces and also d m, and s as separators in the bearing field.

hth,