PC or Mac

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like, but you're just obfuscating.

It's quite simple: you close down your options by purchasing a PC.

As you pointed out, the only thing you can do with a Mac that you can't do on Windows, is run OSX.

There hasn't been a mainstream Mac application driving platform choice for going on twenty years.

Even Apple has admitted advertizes that Windows is necessary for practical computing.

As you pointed out, the only thing you can do with a Mac that you can't do on Windows, is run OSX.

There hasn't been a mainstream Mac application driving platform choice for going on twenty years.

Even Apple has admitted advertizes that Windows is necessary for practical computing.

Hehe, you're still obfuscating.

Er, why Ray? Please cite your sources for this authority.

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen I say. The thread is titled PC or Mac for gods sake. What do you expect.

It's all in good fun. Anyone who takes these discussions too seriously I think needs to re-evaluate what's important in life.

After using DOS & Windows systems since the early 80s, I got my first Mac a little over a year ago. Obviously, both are computers, which means things can or will go wrong with either, and you may end up with a lemon of either flavor. If the app(s) you need to run are supported on either platform, then both are a viable solution.

That said, I've found OS X to be more stable than XP (never made it to Vista, thankfully, and I've tried hard to forget ME), with a whole number of little touches that make it more fluid & user-friendly. Want to find where your email client app keeps its data? The Windows folder structure was always a complete clusterf**k in my experience -- in OS X this is much simpler. Want to install an app? Easier in OS X as well. Want to access foreign character codes (I happen to type in more than one language on a regular basis) -- just hold down and hit a modifier key (I've long since fogotten the 4-digit ALT codes that I'd memorized for doing the same on Windows). Etc, etc. The aesthetics are of course secondary, but IMHO always more enjoyable on the Mac.

Finally, while base systems are to be had for a lot less in the IBM-clone world, you'll find that once you put together a system that's truly on par with a MacPro, or a MacBook Pro, you'll be looking at comparable prices.

p.s. I don't put apple stickers on anything I own, and yes, the Mac marketing hype can be a bit nauseating...

Ha ha thanks Marcuskolb, i think you just confirmed my sentiments exactly, your situation seems to be rather similar to mine (except that i haven't taken the step yet), you mention that aesthetics are secondary, not to me though :) ...very important! Not if it costs the shirt of your back of-course but none the less...funny about the stickers i just removed the ones i had on my HP :) (though it was more to tease my boss who is going to buy me that Mac! than a worship thing.)

Try doing a search (google or similar) on Simpsons Mapple and see if you find it that way.

Thanks Pat

Did find out what it is all about, but I'm yet to view a clip of it.

Found a few alternatives to Youtube, but some were alreay not available anymore as it was not current

Dailymotion; Engadge; hulu; digg.

They keep the same images as youtube but not for long

Vincent, just to add to your positive feelings.

I work on Windows XP since many years (because I have to) and keep Mac privately since the '80s.

While XP is a neat system and I really cannot complain about it, it feels primitive, limiting and cumbersome if you're a Mac user.

I could list many many things which make the life of a simple user more agreeable on Mac... and that of a scripter even more.

Whenever I have to do mass editing of files or transfer data across different applications or manage php, perl, anything you can fancy to do on the web, I do what I have to do with AppleScript. Which is on my opinion a reason sufficient enough for anybody to chose Mac. The efficiency.

If you enjoy scripting you'll find the built-in facilities (x-code, shell access...) on Mac a world of pure joy. Of never ending learning.

Memory-intensive processes: by about 1.5 you're out of memory on PC. The Mac will allow you the double.

And not last the beauty of the interface and the hardware is not to be underestimated. Indeed we look at our computers much more than at our children/wife/husband.

ciao,

orso

PS

My boss would switch the whole office to Mac on the spot, seeing what is possible there and that the maintenance costs are less. But the colleagues categorically refuse. They say that "everybody uses PC, so we should use it too". It's not a joke. It's the sad truth.