Elliptical walls?

Perhaps freeform walls are the solution afterall.......as long as they are easily edited we will have come a long way. Especially considering the fact that more and more buildings seem to be becoming very organic in form, probably because technology is getting better and making them economically possible. Btw both ArchiCAD and Bentley have freeform wall PIOs that accept windows, doors etc........

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps freeform walls are the solution afterall.......as long as they are easily edited we will have come a long way.

Couldn't agree more. However, there are mathematical problems unrelated to the issues I've encountered ? but a part of my problem is the wish to have slanted walls: they introduce another magnitude of complexity. How do you define the slanting vector of a wall that twists and turns, with arcs and splines?

Is Gehry's solution ? CATIA ? the only one nowadays?

Still surprised to learn that ArchiCAD can do free forms. It used to be the most painfully blocky CAD-program I have ever used (from 1990 to 1994, so my knowledge is not exactly up to date.)

CAD was, I think, supposed to give architects more freedom, but the architectural scene in Finland (where ArchiCAD has the lion's share of the market) suggests otherwise. The best buildings are designed with anything else than ArchiCAD! And not ?modeled?, just ?drawn?. Of course someone has generated 3D-visualisations, too. There's a long way ahead!

This observation may be in error ...

don't free-form structures cost considerably more to design and construct ?

Isn't it a well-known fact that Gehry's solutions required hundred$ of million$ of capital and many manhour years to design & engineer.

Now fast forward to our little humble VectorWorks ...

are we really to assume that a cost effective and limited AEC CAD package should have

all the same power and functionality of those application bundles routinely utilized by automotive and aerospace engineers ?

This reminds me of a true story that took place back in 1988.

My friend & his lovely wife arrived for a Caribbean vacation.

Bill was a young Aerospace Engineer, and I, a aspiring island architect.

One evening before dinner he stopped by my office at Sapphire Beach Resort

to review a few of my projects being designed with little MiniCad ( I was so proud : )

Bill, graciously, conceded my humble CAD efforts.

Then he described the incredible complexities of running DOS engineering apps on Boeing's thousands of state-of-the-art workstations.

I felt like a total [****] ... yet .. in retrospect ... all my projects got designed and constructed with a minimum of hassle

leaving plenty of time to spend with my family and the ocean i love.

It all comes down to ... " Different strokes for different folks "

This observation may be in error ...

don't free-form structures cost considerably more to design and construct ?

Oh, they do indeed! Yet, a few carefully considered free-form features can make quite a difference ? as long as they are not ornaments (=crime) and are buildable.

Our little, humble VectorWorks is, by the way, not a bad poor man's CATIA, as Steven Holl's Kiasma Art Museum in Helsinki shows.

Kiasma

Edited by Kool Aid

It's actually quite cool, you can change a normal wall to a freeform with one click and then drag, edit, add vertices and handels as you like.

Sounds good! The Protestant VectorWorks only offers Salvation as long as you do not Distract from the Scripture.

(Objects in VW are of point, line or path type. The Omniscient & Omnipotent Programmer defines the way you work. He or she is not necessarily Benevolent?)