Elliptical walls?

OK. Let's assume it is so. That does not help Vincent or I.

The obfuscating correspondence from our learned friend Mr. Anderson is in any case totally unhelpful and useless: the Oval procedure does not allow a segment of an ellipse to be created. The Arc procedure creates junk.

There is no known method for creating an elliptical/oval wall. End of story.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offseting any ellipse you will get always some b-spline.

If the "elliptical" wall would have left side constructed from true ellipse segment ... then the right side would be b-spline. Two different object types.

If the ellipse would define the centerline of the wall, then the wall sides would be two b-splines .. a little bit better, but ..

I guess that this is the point why not only VW havent supported elliptical walls yet (in fact free form walls).

Another question is, why VW doesnt support elliptical arc ..

Cheaper and less complex packages like Intellicad based ACad clones can do that task easily..

And it's hardly a tradgedy.

If an oval approximation of an ellipse isn't good enough for the walls, then the exercise is theoretical not architectural.

Show us an oval wall. Had you paid attention to what Has Been Written, you might have been able to figure out that they are no more possible than elliptical ones.

But of course paying attention is not as much as fun as developing the next tired tirade or tantrum.

Show us an oval wall. Had you paid attention to what Has Been Written, you might have been able to figure out that they are no more possible than elliptical ones.

But of course paying attention is not as much as fun as developing the next tired tirade or tantrum.

Here ya' go:

Vectorworks is a program for producing technical drawings.

Within the context of Vectorworks and technical drawing an oval is a figure constructed from arcs of constant radius.

Trying to get Vectorworks to construct walls based on ideal plane geometry is, in my opinion a wasted effort and an architect who insists that the walls be "true ellipses" can't distinguish between construction and theory. For such an architect an oval will be acceptable anyway...just so long as someone assures them that it is an ellipse.

What's next, a wishlist item for Riemann slabs?

Here ya' go:

Nonsense. That does not create A Wall.

As even you already should have been able to understand (if not, ask your mother to help), even an oval-segment would do for Vincent (and even yours truly.)

The reasons I emphasized the ellipse include the fact that I already KNEW that the oval shape does not produce acceptable results.

You see, one of the differences between us is, my young friend, that I know things, you don't.

Nevertheless, even I was suprised to see that the given angles to a sector of a squashed circle, an ellipse in NNA-speak, have nothing to to with the result.

You may be a draughtsman, producing technical drawings, I'm not and few VW users are. Maybe you have not chosen wisely?

In the real world walls are material constructions not geometric constructions.

A designer who does not recognize the difference is a sad case.

An architect who cannot live with the difference has probably chosen unwisely.

A vectorworks user who is not trying to produce technical drawings, is certainly just entertaining theirself.

Edited by brudgers
In the real world walls are material constructions not geometric constructions.

A designer who does not recognize the difference is a sad case.

An architect who cannot live with the difference has probably chosen unwisely.

A vectorworks user who is not trying to produce technical drawings, is certainly just entertaining theirself.

Dear me! Have a made a time warp to the Dark Ages?

If technical drawings are needed, they are generated from the Model (yes, the one you so profoundly hate, because your livelihood comes from draughting. Be it you or your mother who does it.)

It is likely be that in the U.S.A. there are no advanced prefabrication systems, but here in the North Pole I can send a 3D CAD-file to a factory (do you have those? OK, I didn't think you do, but had to ask) and on due date, the fabricated item arrives on the site.

Part of the Finnish BIM-approach.

I was trying to be consistent with "technical drawings" but "technical documents" is perhaps more appropriate as it would encompass a BIM.

Regardless of the form by which the architect or designer chooses to communicate, prefabricated objects are material and not geometric.

And the question still remains, what would actually constitute acceptable results in so far as elliptical walls are concerned?

IRegardless of the form by which the architect or designer chooses to communicate, prefabricated objects are material and not geometric.

Indeed they are, but here in the advanced, industrialised world, we do not have to rely on carpenters, masons and bricklayers: we have also Machines. Maybe one day you'll have those, too. They're fantastic!

We have Mare Balticum AND Machines. Not to mention (practically) free health care.

EDIT

Did I say "practically"? Sorry: one does actually need to pay 12 ? (= 18 US pesos) to see a doctor. The sum is very close to be totally beyond reach of an American VW-user.

Edited by Kool Aid
It's probably time for you guys to take some of those ellipses and use them to model a urinal. You both seem to have the time on your hands, given the contest this initially provocative post has become.

Thank you for your excellent contribution to the subject matter. Now we are so much closer to having elliptical/oval walls.

Last night after reading this post, I began comparing the related problems of Logarithmic & Archimedean spirals to the ellipse & ovals.

It all boils down to the complexity of the math required to describe the solutions.

Using geometric progression of segments or linear progression of arcs.

A Urinal is... in fact... ideal for illustrating all these exquisite ideas.

Arc, elliptical & ovals formed together for the purpose of convincing a chaotic fluid to flow

efficiently into a logarithmic- Archimedean spiral stream as it evacuates ( hopefully ) through the circular drain.