Elliptical walls?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vincent,

Walls can't be slanted. Walls can't be elliptical.

With quite some effort, I've written PIOs for (i) a slanted straight wall and (ii) a slanted round wall. Neither, of course, have the behavioural characteristics of Walls, which are just rather stupid Lines: jJust enough for McMansions.

The straight slanted wall can have one (1) opening of explicit size, rectangular or oval. The round one should, too, but the fabulous Siemens 3D-engine can't make the hole in the PIO. (When the PIO is exploded, the hole can be created from the components.)

The free-form slanted wall I have? Well, obviously it can't be elliptical and can't have holes, not to even mention doors or windows.

Walls in Maryland and Texas, U.S. of A., are either straight or follow a circular arc; in each case, they stand straight.

How will we ever get to 'leaning' elliptical walls in that case? :) Which by the way I have needed a couple of times....

If true elliptical walls are necessary for your design, then it appropriate that you suffer for their sake.

Otherwise, what would be the point of true elliptical walls?

Oh, I'm quite adept at work arounds too! I'm sure i can draft (almost) anything you want with VW, but editing and adjusting an PIO (leaning) elliptical wall containing doors and windows saves a HUGE amount of time compared to the work arounds! Of course it takes time to build such elements into VW so I'll be patient. (leaning walls are present in ArchiCAD 12, they are quite usefull, however it cannot do elliptical walls either yet).

As you can see sometimes they are necessary......

Edited by Vincent C

Vincent, I used the "walls" of P... And my verdict is:

I love them!

He saved me last minute from a terrible competition where I had slanted walls and nothing would work. In two minutes I had the construction resolved.

P, show snapshots, let them see. Also and specially the curved AND slanted AND plinted walls.

orso

P, show snapshots, let them see. Also and specially the curved AND slanted AND plinted walls

Well, OK, although I don't think this is of any relevance to anyone. Even if it would, I don't have a mechanism to sell them. But maybe the Talented Mr. Brudgley can replicate them as freebies?

Three straight slanted walls and two curved ones. The curved walls can't have even the one opening, because the solid subtraction fails within the PIO. (When subtraction is not performed - ie. the opening is left as a separate solid - and ungrouped/exploded, the subtraction is just fine. Ah well?)

Well, OK, although I don't think this is of any relevance to anyone. Even if it would, I don't have a mechanism to sell them. But maybe the Talented Mr. Brudgley can replicate them as freebies?

Alas, elliptical walls - like Finland's BIM standards - are not among my design fetishes.

As for those who lust after them, it is truly to your magnificence the manner in which you keep them beyond reach.

As for those who lust after them, it is truly to your magnificence the manner in which you keep them beyond reach.

Well, it is not exactly my doing. Since there is virtually no commercial demand for any VW add-ons, there are no sales channels.

However, residents of the EU can check with their national distributor if they are able to help in the purchase. Can't promise anything, since it is a part of the Finnish ?VW Arkkitehti?. A freebie in that??

Well, it is not exactly my doing. Since there is virtually no commercial demand for any VW add-ons, there are no sales channels.

However, residents of the EU can check with their national distributor if they are able to help in the purchase. Can't promise anything, since it is a part of the Finnish ?VW Arkkitehti?. A freebie in that??

I guess they don't have Godaddy in Finland.

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ecommerce/cart.asp