List classes in a drawing

HOUCAD

Is there a way to list all the classes in a drawing? I tried to get a worksheet to list them but couldn't. I have been developing a set of templates using the AIA/NCS classes with only the required classes in each file. I would like to be able to list them in a worksheet and add a description.

I have the standard classes worksheet that gets added when using auto classing but I only want to list the classes in use.

Thats great, but is there a way to go the other way....is there a way to edit the worksheet and move the info back into the classes list?

Not really. That only works for records that are attached to objects. Since Classes are not object the 2-way does not work.

It MIGHT be possible to write a set of scripts to put the classes into a worksheet (as we have already done) and then a second script to write any changes back to the classes, but I don't have the time to work on that unless I hear a lot of support for that need.

Thanks folks,

Pat, Does your script have to be used an a specific scale layer? I got a jumble of text overlapping and even at 3 point text it was still unreadable.

Dworks, Yours worked fine. I am trying to learn a bit about vector script though so I will be tinkering with Pat's script.

Thanks

Thanks folks,

Pat, Does your script have to be used an a specific scale layer? I got a jumble of text overlapping and even at 3 point text it was still unreadable.

My script does not do anything special with scales. It takes the default settings for worksheets and uses those. You might need to go in and edit the font size in the worksheet and/or change the column widths to get a usable result.

• 7 months later...

Hi Pat

"It MIGHT be possible to write a set of scripts to put the classes into a worksheet (as we have already done) and then a second script to write any changes back to the classes, but I don't have the time to work on that unless I hear a lot of support for that need."

=> I ran into this post.

and even if it is an older post, Ijust thought I'd let you know I would find such a tool HIGLY usefull, if ever you were thinking about extending the idea!!!

It can help while trying to set-up the organisation of teamworking with classes...

Like conceiving in an excell sheet all the classes that would be used for a project, set their attributes and then "feed it in" all the VW files that are related to the project so to get uniform organisation.