User origin

Hi,

Actually I am using Vectorworks Landmark 2008. What I am searching for, is the possibility to set the User origin in the X,Y,Z mode to any point of my drawing that I wish and construct further on from that point. For example, if I am standing in front of a house, I want the take the baseline of the entrance as the new x axis with a new 0,0,0 point and start the construction from that point, so even if the new user x axis is now rotated the new elements I want to construct are rotated automatically from now on. I hope you understand what I mean. I just want to work flexible from any point in the drawing with a free choosen coordinate system even if it is rotated according to any object inside the drawing. The problem for me is that I am used to that style from working with autocad - I click any object and from now on that is my coordinate system origin, that is realy fine, other things of the program you can discuss for hours.

Can I do that with a rotated workplan? Up to now I searched any help but could not find a realy solution. If there is a different working style in VW that does the same job I can learn that.

Thank you

Kind regards

Uli

VW Landmark 2008

Win XP Pro

Hi Uli,

In Reshaper, as well as in the Object Info Palette you find anchor points. By fixing the object through one of those anchors, you work relative from that point. (a very temporary user origin, so to say).

Another way to go about it is by using "Floating Datum" (VW prefs, under the Edit tab)or by setting a "Datum" manually, double click the smartpoints constraint in the constraints palette, to see a preferences dialog for that constraint.

Regards,

Gerard