Please help with sheet layers

Rosetter

Can someone please explain sheet layers to me. Here's my situation: I started a drawing and referenced in a base plan. I then mapped over pertinent existing condition info and created a viewport on an existing conditions sheet layer. I moved on to create option 1 for the client and created a viewport on option 1 sheet layer. And finally created an option 3 viewport on option 2 sheet layer. It was my impression the other sheet layers would not be modified and would be the same when I went back to them to easily print what I needed. Instead modifications, not all, are showing up on my 3 different sheet layers. What am I doing wrong? thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

HI Rosetter,

It sounds like you may be using viewports as static snapshots. They are in fact live windows of your work. Assuming you are working in 2D here are a couple of possible workflows that may help.

1)

Create your reference viewport on a new design layer.

Create a separate design layer (eg Option 1) and with both layers visible draw your Option 1 design on Design Layer Option 1. Create a viewport on Sheet Layer Option 1

Turn off Design Layer Option 1

Create Design Layer Option 2, and with this & referenced layer visible ........

etc.

On the sheet layers - you can turn on/off the layer visibilities of the viewports at will.

Alternatively:

2)

Create your reference viewport on a new design layer.

Create a Sheet Layer Viewport of this DLV on Sheet Layer Opt 1 and in the Viewport Annotations - draw your 2d design on top of the underlying data.

Repeat with separate viewports either on the same or on separate sheets.

(Viewports can be copied & pasted)

Hope this helps.