Callout tool does not support foreign characters

GoTo:

~User( that's you ):Library:Application Support:VectorWorks:2008:Settings:VectorWorks Preferences.xml

Then open the file "VectorWorks Preferences.xml " in a text editor and check to see if the top lines are:

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>"

Now do the same for SavedSettings.xml, and SavedSettingsUser.xml

This is a known bug and they are working on it with high priority. Be patient.

Can you point me to some VW element capable of displaying these special chars from Iceland ?

(I love your language :) )

I am very interested and would be thankful to know.

for you to fix this fast, escape all special chars in the xml files through the escape codes listed here:

http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/articles/entity-escape-characters.php

It should work.

orso

Edited by _c_

* Open the xml file in a text editor (TextWrangler or TextEdit)

* Search each special character and substitute it through the escape

For example:

H?he = Höhe

What do you mean the text tool? The text object insertion tool?

Yes, I believe this is what you mean. Thank you.

orso

with the same problem in German

Edited by _c_
  • 1 month later...

Hi sorry for the late reply, I finally got around to try what you are suggesting. I still don't get it. Am I supposed to find any of the special characters in the preferences.xml file and then replace those with the codes on the HTML escape character webpage? I don't find any of the spec. characters in the .xml file.

I know nothing about programming and code so you really have to explain this to me like you would to a 5 year old :)

5 years old persons are fantastic. No less if they are grown up.

The callout at first uses a default file which is residing in [VW folder]/Plug-Ins/Common/Data/Notes/Callouts.txt

If you edit this file and do "Save us", it will create another xml file (not txt) whose location is listed in the "Notes Manager: Callout dialog". There all your databases are listed.

You should open the dialog available with each callout and look where your file is. That is the file where you should edit the special characters.

Please do so:

* search for each character that is not contained in plain English

* replace it through the code of that page.

For example, for each

?
you need to have
ö

In that site you'll find the right escape code for your special characters.

orso

Edited by _c_

Thats interesting, but a terribly time-consuming workaround.

VW should support unicode text input in all levels. Not only in the text tool!

Under Leopard with VW 12.5.3 and 2008, Icelandic special characters ???? fail in worksheets, layer and class names and all other places except in the text tool.

One workaround is to install the old Classic Mac Roman key set from http://www.apple.is/islenska/

but this can affect other programs thats behaves well without localization.

_________

Hans-Olav

Reykjavik

Iceland

www.tst.is

Yes. Unicode is long due.

The xml encoding system that I proposed will probably work only for characters whose encoding is within a certain range. Icelandic chars are too high in unicode indexing and won't do: they don't pass the dialogs. They don't pass VectorScript, creating the dialogs.

If you create a text object on drawing you use the system, which supports your chars. You don't pass through a dialog cropping your string data to a MacRoman or ANSI set.

The main problem is that the whole dialog system is still very limited. Either MacRoman or a weird mix of MacRoman-ANSI if you are on Win in EU countries, or whatever Windows uses outside plain ASCII environments.

Just curious, how do a Windows machine display icelandic characters? Generally, not only VW? Do these characters fail? What is the encoding used by a Win user in Iceland? ANSI or something else?

Just to make it clear: the xml parser in VW supports unicode, but, when it transfers strings of text to any dialog, any VectorScript, the unicode support is missing and the characters in the string will go rubbish. There is more into this issue and I am not so clear of the details of this transfer, which is patched in countless points by NNA.

Still, there must be some Unicode extension available for our application, since VW is successfully used in Japan.

That workaround for the callout will be nevertheless a help for european extended sets including diacriticals like in German, French, or Italian. I should test also for CE sets (central-european) which might fail as well.

orso

• 1 month later...