Missing the concept? Snapping to other layers

This has to be obvious... I'm (obviously) still learning.

I've got an imported dwg on one design layer. I can snap to it when that layer is active. When I go to another layer, I CAN'T snap to it, even when I choose "show/snap others" or "show/snap/modify others". Actually, I can't select anything on the DWG layer, even when am on that layer and can snap to it. I don't know if that's related. I've got stack layers off. I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Hmmm. I guess that means I can't snap to other views, i.e. Right or Left or isometric, etc, from a different layer? If one wants to duplicate the geometry of one of those views onto another layer, how would one do that? Or is this problem/limitation only with design layer viewports? Worst case I suppose I could snap lines or whatever onto the original layer, and then cut and paste in place. That seems a little circuitous.

There is another option for using other views as a 2D trace.....if you create a viewport of the view you want to use as a trace in a sheet layer, you can then convert this viewport to lines and copy the contents back into (an empty) design layer just becarefull with the scale change between sheet and design layer......the only problem is it doesn't update accordingly ;).

Edited by Vincent Cuclair

Keith,

Don't know if you tried to do what I suggested with the viewport, but I was able to viewport in other layers geometry, change to whatever view I wanted and trace/snap to those objects.

Maybe I am missing something about what you are trying to do, but it seems that it should work for you.

HTH,

Ion

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you sooooo much...I have been scratching my head for a few hours now wondering why I couldn't snap to objects on other layers. So you MUST have all of the layers set to "Top/Plan View" or you will not be able to snap to the objects contained within them. Thanks for those VW veterans who participate and give us newbies information via the forum.