BIM

Sorry to burst your bubble but Visual Compare is only a visual gadget to 'hide/show' the trace/reference in the active layer...!!!! By dragging from one side, top or bottom the screen you hide the trace, nothing more.

I've used it on several occasions however it's essentially just another fancy way of hiding the trace/reference file....

But in essence you do lock a certain part of the file to one user even when you 'override' through an administrator you still lock that part of the file to one single user all you're doing is changing the user?!

No you can simply release it. Have a read of the Reference Guide from the Help menu.

Sorry to burst your bubble Visual Compare is only a visual gadget to 'hide/show' the trace/reference in the active layer...!!!! By dragging from one side, top or bottom the screen you hide the trace, nothing more.

I've used it on several occasions however it's essentially just another fancy way of hiding the trace/reference file....

And, apart from the useful ability to drag from one side to the other, this is different from overlaying a referenced layer in VW how? Unsure what bubble you think you're bursting Vincent.

Well Christiaan, you use words like "ArchiCAD absolutely wipes the floor in this regard with a feature called Visual Compare." I don't see how. You seem to suggest that it is a tool for keeping track of changes in a file...this is incorrect.

"Simply release"..... means simply that nobody else can edit that part of the file until it is released to another user, i consider that approx. the same as being "locked" for other users?!.. ..however all others can see and use this part of the project as a trace.

I think you over estimate the capabilities of ArchiCAD compared to those of VW, sure each program has it's pros. but they are very similar in their capabilities.

Well Christiaan, you use words like "ArchiCAD absolutely wipes the floor in this regard with a feature called Visual Compare." I don't see how. You seem to suggest that it is a tool for keeping track of changes in a file...this is incorrect.

My point was as an overlay/comparison tool VW doesn't come close. With Visual Compare, etc. someone has actually sat down and thought about a useful way to compare drawings.

"Simply release"..... means simply that nobody else can edit that part of the file until it is released to another user, i consider that approx. the same as being "locked" for other users?!.. ..however all others can see and use this part of the project as a trace.

Yes of course it's locked for other users. You can't work on the same thing at the same time. I was talking about a situation where somebody signs something out and isn't available to sign it back in; in this case an admin can simply sign them out as I understand it.

I think you over estimate the capabilities of ArchiCAD compared to those of VW, sure each program has it's pros. but they are very similar in their capabilities.

I think you're too caught up in this VW vs. AC thing. My interest is in making sure I'm using the most suitable software for the job. At the moment, as I understand it, there is still a debate going on in NNA about whether WGR or a TeamWork-like concept is the best way forward on collaboration.

What surprises me is that there is even a debate about it. WGRing as a collaboration tool is an anachronism. It hasn't come about because a bunch of smart people sat down and thought about the best way for architects to collaborate on a digital model. It's come about as an expedient and useful way to share data between files.

ArchiCAD, in this instance, simply provides a great example for those nay sayers who would say it can't be done because they can't imagine a world beyond WGRing.

OK, i don't want to lock horns with you about this anymore, i guess we'll have to wait and see what NNA next step is, personally i have always liked using the reference system, in all CAD programs. But i also see the benefits with a single file system.

Just to make sure you understand this Visual Compare tool properly, basically it is the same as in VW when you have 'grey others' with the added function of dragging a bar across the screen which hides the 'others'.......staying on the same issue i have added to the VW Wish List the possibility to manipulate the look of the 'grey others' in VW, at the moment i prefer to use a Design layer viewport with the layer set to 15% opacity because the graphics feel superior (i don't like the pixel or dotty feel of the grey others at the moment).

A minus with AC, you can only have one trace/reference/layer visible at all times, VW at least gives us the option to grey/show as many layers as we want.....

I would like to hear from others how or if BIM is being implemented or required. In Texas we are being told that we have to be BIM capable to bid on county, state or federal projects. Federal and military have clear guidelines for BIM but the state doesn't have a clue beyond layer/class guidelines. All they recommend is to follow AIA/NCS.

The NIBS National BIM standards are still fairly new so hopefully this year they will decide on a format. I know in other places in the states they have a defined format for BIM. I would like to know what is being done elsewhere and if any kind of BIM capability / data quality rating scale is being used to qualify for bidding.