HDRI BACKGROUNDS

knickers

Hi There,

I want to use an HDRI image as a background image, to reflect off of objects in a rendered view, but I don't want to see the actual background itself.

I know that in other rendering programs such as Cinema 4d, it is possible to hide a background from the camera, but still have it cast reflections on objects in a scene.

Is this possible in Renderworks 2009?

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for getting back to me BIll, but I'm not sure I explained myself very well... I have set the HDR file to light my layer, but I want for the objects in the scene to show reflections of the same HDR file, without being able to see it in the background...

The final image I am after would be a rendering with high quality reflections, on a white background.

I am not sure this can be done in Vectorworks?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

I don't know if you can do what you want when rendering directly in design layers. I do know that you can do what you want by using sheet layer viewports.

If you are indeed assigning an HDRI background to a design layer, un-assign it.

Then, create a sheet layer viewport of the view that you want.

Select the sheet layer viewport.

In the Object Info Palette:

1. Set the RW background to None.

2. Click Lighting Options button

3. Under Environment Lighting (HDRI,) click From Selected Background and pick desired background from drop-down list.

4. Turn off ambient lighting under Ambient Info (you don't HAVE to do this but I find I get much better results by turning off ambient light and adjusting brightness and sensitivity of HDRI background)

5. Click OK

Update viewport

This should result in a rendering that has a white background but is lit by and shows reflections from your HDRI background.

It's possible that you can do this in design layers by using custom renderworks and setting options similar to above under custom renderworks options but I have not done so.

Thanks once again for getting back to me Bill...

I've tried the method you suggested, and can still not get the results I am after (and you have described). I have the Designer version of VW 2009, so I can't imagine that its a software issue - more likely something stupid I am or am not doing.

I have attached a very simple file which I set up using the steps outlined in your post... If you can see what I am doing wrong (or not at all), I would appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

Edited by knickers

I'm so sorry, knickers, it looks like I was wrong about how VW works. I really thought that reflections were processed with the lighting. I do HDRI lighting with white backgrounds all the time but haven't ever needed the reflections.

It looks like the only way to get the reflections is to use your HDRI as the RW Background. I just opened your file and messed around with it. You did exactly what I would have done and it didn't produce the results that I thought it would.

Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.

I think that your only alternative might be to photoshop the background out of the image after you've rendered it.

Is there any way you can put a wall or something behind your scene to obscure the camera's view of (part/most/all of) the HDRI background. Perhaps a wall far enough away that it doesn't affect the lighting but close enough that you don't see it in your scene? Even if it didn't block the whole background, it might make photoshopping the rest out easier.

OR

Render one scene with the background on and one with it off. Use photoshop to cut the white background out of one image and paste it on to the other.

Good day guys

I have been following this, but as I have an older version could not really take part.

Maybe this could work....

As the HDRI is a flat image and then made into a HDRI backround by VW. Why not use the flat image on it's own.

I was thinking and trying to visiualize what Knikers wanted as an end result.

Create a ceiling out of view from the camera so as not to obscure the background desired but yet to reflect on the objects needed....

Please let me know if this will work or if my imagination is to much for VW...