Simple Q? Rectangular selection

I'm new to VW, going through the Architect training DVD.

At one point, I'm directed to select a rectangle (actually, a stack of layered spaces) from amongst a tessellated arrangement of rectangles/spaces, which is done in the tutorial using the rectangular 2-d selection tool.

The thing is, when I click to start defining the selection rectangle, it selects that space rectangle, and moves it as I try to stretch the selection rectangle. I wouldn't bother people with such a goofy question, I'm sure it's something obvious, but I've spent an hour or more reading the manual and trying everything I can think of.

Thanks for any help! I hope I've been clear enough.

keith

The selection cursor (like most other tools) has different "modes" available. You can see which mode is active in the upper left-hand area of the VW's Screen.

Also, if your mouse is already touching an object a single click will select it, whereas if you are near an object (but not touching it) you can drag a marquee around it/them to select.

So if you are over an object (you know because the pre-selection feature will show you a highlighted object) then when you click then move, you will actually be dragging that object.

Hope that makes sense, and helps...

The selection cursor (like most other tools) has different "modes" available. You can see which mode is active in the upper left-hand area of the VW's Screen.

Also, if your mouse is already touching an object a single click will select it, whereas if you are near an object (but not touching it) you can drag a marquee around it/them to select.

So if you are over an object (you know because the pre-selection feature will show you a highlighted object) then when you click then move, you will actually be dragging that object.

Hope that makes sense, and helps...

Please see the tread below.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=117433#Post117433

So just be carefull that when you are over an object as Preselection and you click on a point which also intersects with another object you might not be selecting the one you want.

And to add to the overabundance of information on this relatively simple sounding question, if you want to start a selection rectangle that originates over a Filled object, hold the shift key down and it will ignore the object below the cursor.

This does not work with the 2D reshape tool marquee mode.

HTH,

ion

I'm new to VW, going through the Architect training DVD.

At one point, I'm directed to select a rectangle (actually, a stack of layered spaces) from amongst a tessellated arrangement of rectangles/spaces, which is done in the tutorial using the rectangular 2-d selection tool.

The thing is, when I click to start defining the selection rectangle, it selects that space rectangle, and moves it as I try to stretch the selection rectangle. I wouldn't bother people with such a goofy question, I'm sure it's something obvious, but I've spent an hour or more reading the manual and trying everything I can think of.

Thanks for any help! I hope I've been clear enough.

keith

As described earlier an object that has a fill can be selected by clicking anywhere in the object. If however, as I think it to be in this case, the objects to be selected are located within the bounds of a larger filled object then start your rectangular selection operation with the shift key depressed. This way the larger filled object will not be included in your selection. Be sure that no objects are selected before starting this operation.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Like others have said you need to be in a blank space to start a selection box. Another trick you can use is to hold down alt when you release the mouse button to select all the objects "touched" by the selection marquee as opposed to only those totally enclosed by it.

First, thanks for all the advice. I didn't describe the situation adequately for most of you, I guess. Think of it this way: there's an entire screen full of filled rectangles and other goodies. I want to rectangular-select or lasso-select a subset in the middle of it all. But instead I select and move whatever's under the cursor when I try. I read the other thread someone pointed to, and it appears others have some frustration with this behavior.

As described earlier an object that has a fill can be selected by clicking anywhere in the object. If however, as I think it to be in this case, the objects to be selected are located within the bounds of a larger filled object then start your rectangular selection operation with the shift key depressed. This way the larger filled object will not be included in your selection. Be sure that no objects are selected before starting this operation.

Bob

Hmmm: I don't quite get what you mean, but you did give me an idea that seems to work. Hold down the shift key, and make the selection. Now, I'll have selected the rectangle (or whatever) that's immediately under the cursor, AND whatever I drag-selected. Then, still holding down the shift key, unselect the unwanted item. That's better than I figured out at the time... But what's perplexing to me is that in the primer/movie I was watching, they seemed to do it effortlessly. Perhaps one item was unselectable due to layer or class settings, but sicne I was trying to follow along, that means I must have missed something else...

Anyway, thanks for people's thoughts/suggestions.

Keith

Edited by Keith W