Vectorworks Output to CNC machine code

Guest BillV

I always ask the engineering company what they prefer, but generally DXF seems to be more useable. I have always had good stuff back but I don't know what hoops, if any, the engineers have jumped through to get the result.

I have used CNC routing machines with DXF files and the accuracy is very good.

I've also exported IGES files to a 5 axis machine with good results. Again this was to an engineering company and they didn't have any problems that I heard about.

I often export VW to dwg and transmit the files to a waterjet or and a laser shop. There are several hoops. Here is my experience.

1. The shops convert the dwg to a CNC file type sometimes called CAM - different software for different machines and different shops, so requirements my vary.

2. For "my" waterjet and laser shops curves need to be circles or circular arcs. The CNC cannot manage beziers or cubic splines. Linked arcs can approximate a spiral curve. I draw with the VW polyline tool and hit the U key to switch between corner points and arc points. Print/sign shops often cut masks with machines able to use PS and EPS files with beziers. Again, different software at different shops. I don't know about the router control software.

3. Place a scale object on your drawing and tell the recipient that it is in the drawing. I make a 1"x10" rectangle with big text inside it labeling it as "Scale Check - 1"x10". That way the dwg can be easily rescaled if necessary. They understand not to include the scale check in the cutting schedule.

4. Check your export by importing it back into a new VW file and zoom in to the details. Sometimes a long radius curve will end up with an extension line to the curve center.

5. If possible, for the first few times, try to be present when the CNC folks open the dwg. Sometimes a pdf is helpful, so send one of those, too.

6. Many situations required offsetting the tool from the vector (Kerfing) so that the product has correct dimension. Most machines can center on the vector or can be offset to one side or the other. You might benefit from a conversation with the machine operator about this.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

-B

• 2 months later...

I write Gcode for my CNC using BobCAD software to a WinCNC post processor. it can open a DXF(text) file, but that's never how I do it. I export a DWG and do the rest with the BobCAD software. We do stuff for other people as well, and it's come in all forms (mcd, vwx, dwg, dxf).