Where to go from here? Training guidance...

Hello folks. I'm new to the boards, but not a new VW user. I've used it on and off since MiniCad4. Am currently using VW Architect 12.5.

I'm a residential design/build contractor working mostly on mid-19th century housing, doing additions and whole-house remodels.

Anyway, I use VW mostly as a design tool with clients, rarely having to generate anything resembling a working drawing. I work strictly in 3D. I'm finding that I'm at the point where I need to know more than I do about generating a set of working drawings and presentation drawings, and have no idea where to turn for training.

The last training I had was a two-day seminar with Janice Kent on VW8. I have enough of a working knowledge of layers and classes that I'm able to build layered-up models, but I suspect that I'm not doing it very well, and I don't even know where to start with generating presentation or working drawings.

Where could I learn:

a) a more systematic approach to modeling the structure

b) the basics of what should be on a set of drawings and what they look like

c) how to accomplish that in VW 12.5

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Thanks for the welcome and the information.

Sheet previews would be great. I work in a total vacuum out here in the boondocks with no formal training other than a beginning drafting class 20 years ago. The last set of actual prints I saw was probably 8 years ago, that someone had done in Chief Architect.

I need a basic reference to see what it is I'm supposed to be presenting, and then I need to be able to figure out how to achieve that end.

I bought a drafting book the last time I had to put together some drawings for a permit. The book was "Architectural Drafting and Design, 4th edition" by Alan Jefferis and David Madsen from 2004. It was of some use, but not very applicable to VW.

Steve

Steve

I have uploaded a complete Architectural set for a 2-storey school to Mediafire. Will PM the download link to you as it's too big to email. Should be able to get a good feel for everything required from this, but I'd suggest taking up Cipes' suggestion of online training if you want to level up faster.

I'm just about as physically far from you as I could be and still be in the US!

I credit Janice's book and the two day seminar with getting me able to make use of the program at all. I was unable to make it work reading the user manual for MC4 till after I read her book "The MiniManual". And I'm no stranger to designing on the computer. I had been doing it for years as a publication designer. I thought "How hard can it be? I know QuarkXpress..." But for some reason 3D was a whole new paradigm that it took me awhile to wrap my head around.

One of my main problems is that I don't use it very much. I haul it out about once a year to design an addition or some such, and then it goes back into mothballs along with my brain till the next time. In the meantime the program has had a couple of updates, and I'm behind the curve again.

Is Janice still doing seminars?

Steve

Steve -

I'm in the same boat as far as frequency of use.

What I've done is force myself every 3 months or so to go back and draw changes to existing plans or even create some imaginary plans in order to keep the program fresh in my head (it's amazing how fast it leaves when you're doing something else...).

I also check the forums once/week or so for relevant postings to problems or questions I come up with, then subscribe them to my profile for checking later. I found this easier than doing a search every 2-3 months.

Best -

every month I offer free online training on a specific Vectorworks topic. Last month it was dealing with complex roofs, next month it will be creating drawings for architects and landscapers. There is one free sesssion each month, so if you want to join in you will have to be quick.

Attending training each month will teach you something new each month and it will keep you up to date in Vectorworks. Some months you will learn a few tricks, but on other months you will learn completely new techniques. You can see the calendar for the meetings at this web site:

http://ical.mac.com/WebObjects/iCal.woa/wa/default?d=1&u=jpickup1&v=1&y=2009&m=3&n=User%20Group.ics

The free monthly sessions have been running since the beginning of the year, and are based on the subscription service I run each month. Each month for the last two years, I have been writing a monthly manual that has the notes and movies for the free session, a Q&A page, two tips and tricks movies, and a beginner movie. If you want more information on this please visit this site:

http://www.archoncad.co.nz/usergroup/join_int.php