Hybrid Locus

islandmon

17 answers to this question

Maybe i've omitted a very important aspect of my negative outlook on such an "Intelligent Locus".

i use a 3D Locus to mark centers of objects/symbols that maybe asymmetrical/irregular in form and need a working center that is different to the actual center. A 3D Locus included in these parts allows me to align objects correctly and precisely, and be able to rotate them around a known fixed point in any view/plane.

i'm not saying the intelligent version wont do this, but i am worried that it may not allow me to use it as i have 'til now. Hence a separate hybrid might be safer, for me at least.

Better the Devil you know! . . . . . .

My guess as to why there are two separate loci objects is because of the hybrid nature of VW. There are some advantages to having them separate with Hybrid symbols because the extent to which the symbol cuts walls can be defined differently to the actual 2D and/or 3D extent of the symbol, thus allowing things like pocket and face sliding doors to interact with the wall correctly in both 2D and 3D.

Andiacd, based on my experience in regard to the reliability of VW "features," I can understand your concerns.

Particularly since locus points are something that actually work reliably.

-----------

Mike, Last I checked, doors were PIO's not symbols. However, there's no reason that an intelligent object created using common programming techniques can't vary its methods based on the context. Even in the Mid-Atlantic region many people are familiar with OOP.

My guess as to why there are two separate loci objects is because of the hybrid nature of VW. There are some advantages to having them separate with Hybrid symbols because the extent to which the symbol cuts walls can be defined differently to the actual 2D and/or 3D extent of the symbol, thus allowing things like pocket and face sliding doors to interact with the wall correctly in both 2D and 3D.

That's true, but we now have a new method for cutting 3D holes in a wall. And a new one for 2D holes should be there to, with a poly.

I like the idea of one loci, but maybe there should be the option to show it only in 2D, 3D, or hybrid. This way you can use the loci as you would before, and can use it as suggested here.

And while were at it: Maybe a text that can be shown/not shown with the height of the loci. And make them imput for a dtm.

Edited by DWorks