Is it possible to print a user-defined window area of a drawing?

Doug L

Question

Is it possible to print a user-defined window area of a drawing? In the print settings, there is a check box for "Print current view only", but I often don't want to print the screen view, or can't get the correct area I need by zooming, but want a certain customized rectangle or square shaped area. In AutoCAD you print any area bounded by an upper left corner click to a lower right corner click. Or vice versa. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Thanks Peter for your reply. Option 1 will only be screen resolution, not suitable for printing. I tried Option 2 and still have problems with unwanted borders printing, even though I select Print/Layout/Border/NONE. I realize that an 8.5 x 11 sheet layer will not print onto the same size of paper due to margins. The drawing is set up with a 1/2" border per VW border tool. And so per your suggestion, I created a viewport which matches the border size of 7" wide x 9.38" high. This should fit on an 8.5 x 11 sheet. However, the print result is my border is cramped tight to the top and left of the page, and another thin line appears at the right and bottom of the page. Looks like a cut line or edge of paper line 1/2" away from my borders (when page set up is set to 7" x 9.38"). (If page setup is set to 8" x 10.38", the extra lines appears at the top and right instead). How do I make those extra lines to go away and print the image centered on the page instead? It looks very unprofessional. Thanks.

In my experience every printer has slightly different margins (or actual printable area). The only way to be certain where this area is is by trial and error. Create a Sheet Layer with the desired page setup, paper size, etc. then draw a rectangle in the area that appears to be printable. Then print it. Then fiddle with the rectangle, moving or resizing it until it is exactly where you want it on the actual printed page. When you create a Viewport, make sure that it is within the newly discovered area.

Also: you can make your VP CROP invisible by setting its line weight to zero....

If I have misunderstood your issue please repost. I'll do my best to help...

Thanks Peter. The culprit appears to be a sheet area boundary line that won't go away. In image #1, the Page Setup dialogue box, Show Page Boundary is checked and grayed out and I'm unable to uncheck it. If you place your cursor over that Show Page Boundary text, the detail text below says "Check the check box to show the page boundary on design layers. The page and print boundary are always drawn on sheet layers." So maybe I'm stuck with it?

In image #2 the print preview shows an extra boundary line around my drawings border line.

In image #3, I printed a viewport on top of my 7 x 9.38 border, and changed the page set up to match that. This extra line is more visible in this view when the image is pushed to the left and up.

Is there a way to turn these page border lines off, even though in Print/Layout/Border, None is selected per image 4? Or will I have to resort to Photoshop image editng to remove extra boundary lines?

/Users/douglee/Desktop/Image 1.png

/Users/douglee/Desktop/Image 2.png

/Users/douglee/Desktop/Image 3.png

/Users/douglee/Desktop/Image 4.png

Doug. Sorry, no actual links in your last post, so I can't see your screen shots.... No, you're not stuck with it. Trust me, it's something really basic. You are welcome to post a Private Message to me and then you can send me your file directly and I'll be happy to take a quick look.... Just let me know

Peter thanks for your help. For the benefit of others:

1. With a sheet layer active, Page Setup has Show Page Boundary checked but grayed out and unchangeable. If you go to the design layer and then Page Setup, you can unchecked Show Page Boundary there, and then back in the sheet layer and Page Setup, Show Page Boundary is no longer checked.

2. The real culprit with my file was that I used VW to create the Drawing Border. Unknown to me, it also created a Page Boundary line that prints around the Drawing Border. And it still printed after doing item #1 above. The solution was to draw my own rectangle for use as a border and then delete the VW Drawing Border.