Seperating trees,shrubs, and perennials on plant list

Hello

Anyone tell me how to separate trees, shrubs and perennials on a plant list worksheet ? I have tried to figure this out all afternoon. I place plants on the drawing, they end up on the list, all is well except I want to separate them into there different categories.

Any Help would be much appreciated, I believe the answer lies in the worksheet formulas, but I'm stuck.

Thanks

You will have to edit the worksheet to add a column. In the database header rows (there is one of these for each 'type' you will have to set the cell to get the ID data. Look at the format of the adjacent records and the plant record attached to each plant object to see what field you will have to reference. You will have to do this for each database header row.

What you really want is to have three different databases on one worksheet. Each would show just Trees/Shrubs/Perrenials.

To get one, you should be able to click and hold on the database row header (i.e. 4, not 4.1, 4.2, etc.). One of the options is to Edit Criteria. In the Criteria dialog box, click the More Choices button. This will give you an additional row of criteria. Set it to Shrubs.

This will give you a database that shows only the shrubs in the drawing.

Now select the database header row and copy and paste it lower in the worksheet. You should now have two copies of the Shrubs database. Edit the criteria again and change the Category from Shrubs to Perennials.

You should now have a database of shrubs and a database of Perennials.

Repeat this again for your trees. In the very brief test I did, the category for the trees was Coniferous Trees.

I liked the info in this topic we have also had the same issues, and easy solutions are great. However how is it done? The knowledge would allow us to create custom reports.

Also is there any reference material in regards to the reports area of the program?

And is there a way to automatically apply an image of the plant by its listing in the report.

What you really want is to have three different databases on one worksheet. Each would show just Trees/Shrubs/Perrenials.

To get one, you should be able to click and hold on the database row header (i.e. 4, not 4.1, 4.2, etc.). One of the options is to Edit Criteria. In the Criteria dialog box, click the More Choices button. This will give you an additional row of criteria. Set it to Shrubs.

Pat, could you clarify what gets set to shrubs? After I select the More Choices button, the options are Record, Plant Record, Present, Type, Is, 2D Locus. None of these pop-up menus has "shrubs". Or do I type that in after selecting something else? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

an easy way we do it here is to use the 'Plant list- simple' supplied in the reports & schedules folder of the defaults/ libraries/ VW2008 folder.

turn on data base headers in the worksheet (the little upside down triangle under the red 'X' in the upper left corner). Click and hold the open diamond at the front of the line. Scroll down to 'set criteria'. If your trees, shrubs and ground-covers are on separate layers or classes, the criteria can be set to 'class' or 'layer', then select the appropriate layer or class. This should cause the worksheet to list only the trees, for example.

add a couple of rows to the bottom of the worksheet. Copy the database header line and paste it in one of the empty rows. Repeat the process using the next class or layer you want tabulated.

You may have to use the summation button to the top of the column.