Hybrid symbols on a working plane

michaelk

Question

15 answers to this question

Andrew

I've tried it several times, and I can't make it work. Maybe you can.

Make a 3D ramp.

Create a working plane on the incline of the ramp. Switch to the working plane view.

Take a hybrid symbol (say a baby grand piano) and try to place it on the ramp. It won't go. At least it won't land on the ramp.

But if you remove the 2D part of the symbol, it works perfectly. The piano will sit with all 3 legs on the ramp in any orientation.

If you can make a hybrid symbol sit on a ramp, I'd love to know how you do it.

michaelk

Yeah, i know what you mean.

This is unfortunately one of the bugs i could never understand with Hybrids, you can ONLY rotate them if you remove the 2D element. Some find it useful, you and i obviously don't. i had made many querries about this, suggesting it should be changed and made an option to be able to rotate them in any view but the consensus is that it stays as it is. The only way around this that i can see, is to plant two Grand Pianos and make one, the hybrid only visible in the Plan view and the other(less 2D parts) only visible in all other views.

Hardly a suitable solution, but probably the only one that can help, unless of coarse there is someone else out there with a more practical one.

Hope this helps . . .

i realise that using this method doesn't allow for foreshortening of the piano in plan, but, i'm afraid you're stuck with that result. i suppose you could always use the tape tool, measure the length the piano covers once inclined and then use the scale tool to shorten the hybrid to the required new plan length.

Maybe? ? ? ? ?

BTW just remembered, it was Mike and Pat that pointed out the "Hard Line Facts" about hybrids . . . . . .

:)

Edited by AndiACD

I can't but feel sorry for the poor pianist...

There's no immediate & practical solution to this, but a clever programmer could perhaps write a universal plug-in object that could take any hybrid symbol, break it into 2D and 3D components and then allow the 3D-part to be tilted. Probably not by working plane, though.

Well, that depends. If we put a grand piano (even a baby grand) on a ramp, one or more legs will become visible in plan view. In some circumstances even the pedals & castors need to be shown. So in effect we need to generate a hidden line top view and then process that to look like a plan with fills.

Believe it or not, I have spent a lot of time drawing baby grand pianos on raked platforms....

And you're right, the piano players don't like it. And the piano movers really don't like it.

Petri, I like your idea of generating a hidden line top view and processing that view as the piano tilts.

Until then I'd be content with just keeping the 2D in the bounding box and letting the 3D behave like a 3D symbol.

michaelk

Ah well, I guess pianists who accept one insult (the baby grand) are inclined, so to speak, to accept another one just the same. I dare not to think what they are supposed to play... (Sorry, I have a musician in the family.)

Anyway, with a fixed 2D part such a PIO shouldn't be too hard to write. Hopefully you find someone ? unless you decide to write it yourself.

Actually, the ability partially exists in Spotlight lighting instrument objects. I don't think you can insert them on an inclined working plane, but you can insert them and then in the OIP rotate the object around the X or Y axis - without affecting the 2D part of the symbol.

I suppose it's possible to turn a piano into a lighting instrument.....

michaelk