serious layer link problems

we are trying to use layer links to print several sheets from a single production document. so far so good. if it were not vectorworks unique ability to make simple things difficult:

hatched circles display without any filling or hatch, when layer linked

layer links dont export to dxf or dwg

and, last not least, zooming in on a layer link will always result in a system crash, if you go far enough (you'll have to, considering the snap which only works on points, when layer links are snapped to.

one more: i have a document here on which only one sheet will print, the other will cause a crash.

our conclusion: although layer links seem to be the only reasonable way to print several sheets from one document without having to more the sheet for each plot, and to print several scales from a document without loosing accuracy, layer links seem to be a beta feature, causing crashes every couple of minutes.

pretty frustrated, and thinking of switching to a different cad system,

michael

are you working in 3D? Because if your not, don't use the layer link, its really only a 3D solution. Take advantage of the excellent saved sheets, which let you combine layers and classes in specific combinations. I currently have an entire set of drawings for an appartment complex (12 floors) nicely within one file.

we're not working in 3d most of the time.

the problem is, without layer links you shouldn't dare combining several scales on one sheet, since you'd loose accuracy far beyond a reasonable point to work with. so we use layer links to be able to display referenced project parts in a 'print' document, who's accuracy doesn't matter to much since changes don't go back to the source document.

also, if you have several project to work with, you'll probably want to see the points where these projects toucht each other in every project. layer links are the only way to accomplish this, if the referenced projects need to be ROTATED. everything else would be fine with saved sheets.

so why don't they just care for the layerlink feature to work in 2d all well, as there is an 'display 2d' option in the tool???

michael

You might try using symbols instead. Make the whole set of objects that you were layer linking into a symbol. Then it can be placed repeatedly, rotated, displayed at different scales, globally edited. And the symbol can contain other symbols.

------------------

Geoff Briggs

I & I Design

iandidesign@home.com

• 2 weeks later...

We use layer the layer link combined with workgroup references in 2d because it is the only way to reference a drawing and move or rescale the reference in the target file. It is imperative to be able to do this. After making the initial links and references I experienced the problem of crashing while zooming-in but believe it or not the crashing problem mysteriously went away. Others in the office experienced the problem while some did not. All memory allotments were set to the recommended and it had no effect for those experiencing the problem. The suggestion from tech support was not to work with files over the network, in other words copy the file to the desktop to work with it - which I find dangerous due to likelihood of error. My only advice is that the problem may mysteriously go away

sginder,

thanks for your statment - it does not really comfort me though, to have an application with features that sometimes do work properly and sometimes dont. in my case, anyway, zooming in to far always ends up in a crash.

did you change anything to your systems to make that bug go away? (os, network, other installed software etc.)

michael

quote:

Originally posted by michael@arc:

hatched circles display without any filling or hatch, when layer linked

This bug was fixed in VW9.0.0.

quote:

layer links dont export to dxf or dwg

This feature was added to VW9.0.0. VW8.5.2 Mac users can use my utility at http://aetherlumina.com/vw/ to create symbols from layer links, but the VW9 system is better.

quote:

and, last not least, zooming in on a layer link will always result in a system crash, if you go far enough (you'll have to, considering the snap which only works on points, when layer links are snapped to.

I have not been able to duplicate this in a simple test case in VW9. Some zoom crashes were fixed in VW9, which may or may not be related.

quote:

one more: i have a document here on which only one sheet will print, the other will cause a crash.

If possible, send the document to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net along with your system setup info (printer driver / printer / printer connection / etc) and steps to reproduce.

quote:

our conclusion: although layer links seem to be the only reasonable way to print several sheets from one document without having to more the sheet for each plot, and to print several scales from a document without loosing accuracy, layer links seem to be a beta feature, causing crashes every couple of minutes.

Layer links are widely used by many people without crashes, and have been for many versions. It may be that you have some particular problem cases that other people are not experiencing. Any time you can get an easily reproducible crash or bug you should send a test file to bugsubmit so we can reproduce it and fix it.

[This message has been edited by jodawi (edited 06-19-2001).]

Hello Again,

Crashed while zooming:

2d/3d will always crash when you zoom that's too large to the grid you've designated. I have just found out today the trick to solve this problem.

Go to PAGE dialog/Set Grid. Put ALL symmetry to "0".

This means that you have NO GRID on your layer drawing.

Then you can zoom to the fullest without crushing.

Caution: This means that you cannot use snapping line to the grid, because you set your grid to "0"(zero).

I dont know if there is more underlying problem by doing this.

Let's continue learning in order not to get bored with VW, alright. smile.gif

Bobby Aranas