Mesh Creation

Hi, Andrew - I created some linked arcs (ends coincident), composed them (they became a single polyline), extruded them, converted the extrusion to mesh (tons of facets), and applied a brick texture. The texture applies to the entire mesh, but it's really funky. The mapping scale, rotation and mode need to be tweeked to get an approximation of a brick surface. Cylinder map is best, and it is not great.

Linked arcs composed and extruded, but not converted to mesh, yield a much better brick render.

Is your mesh actually a single object, or is it a group of discrete objects which need to have the texture applied to each one? You might need to compose the various facets into a single object to approximate a continuous surface. Or avoid the mesh and go with NURBS or plain old arc extrusions.

-B

Pat -

This is an array that is a mesh. The array is created in a script following a "BeginMesh" call. Using this approach I'm able to map a single Texture across a large number of objects.

FWIW, I had originally taken the approach of individually mapping the Texture to each element in an array - and adjusting the offset appropriately for each. That worked, but VW would choke when I got to a few hundred elements in the array - and I'm needing to be able to map to higher numbers than that.

Is the advice you're offering in-essence doing this, or something different? The closest thing to what you mentioned (that I could find) is one of the settings for "SetTexMapBool." Is this what you're meaning?

In VW2009, there is an option, settable in the OIP to "Use World Origin" for a texture. It may only be for the Z value.

If you have stacked walls (for instance), this makes sure that you don't end up with half a course of bricks at the top of the first floor and then a full course at the bottom of the second floor.

If it is choking for you on the number of objects, then it probably will not help you.

If any of you are interested, here's an update:

If I:

1) Create the set of arcs within a group...

2) Convert the group to 3D polys (and, leave as a group)...

3) Convert the group to a mesh...

Things work.

In trying to follow some of Pat's early advice the problem was that I was trying to create the arcs within a "BeginMesh" VectorScript call. Didn't work so well.

I still have some mapping challenges, but at least I'm getting the texture to map in the first place.

Thanks for the thoughts...

That is really cool.

In your step one are you creating arcs, grouping and then extruding all of the 2D arcs at the same time within the group?

In my little test I'm not sure if it is mapping accurately or if it is producing a fun house mirror kind of effect.

But the images respond to mapping commands in a pretty predictable way.

Is this going to be a new feature in VideoScreen 4?

michaelk

Is this going to be a new feature in VideoScreen 4?

Who knows...? I'd hoped something along these lines would have been ready for v2 but a combination of geometry generation and texture mapping challenges have made my hopes take a lot longer to realize than I'd anticipated. The former has been working for a while but the latter has really made my head spin. Every time I got above about 200 or so objects VW just didn't want to play. Things are starting to look up, though...

That's interesting.

My experience w/ mesh objects is usually with SketchUP or dwg imports - no textures, just wireframe.

I've found that VW chokes just trying to do a flyover or change views. Probably because the unbelievably high object count.

I assume you can control the size and number of mesh objects when you create them.

michaelk